My Sony has a problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ASVU, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

I have a Sony PCV-RS430G Desktop computer. I’ve had it for a number of years running Windows XP OS. I know about know more support from MS after April 8, 2014. I would love to keep XP but my problem is my computer will not fully boot back up. All lights, fans, and other components appear to function but no beep. That’s the only way I know it will boot up completely, is when I hear the beep. It usually takes 7 to 12 or more restarts (pushing on/off button) to complete the operation.
    Can anyone help and assist me with this problem? I am no Geek, just an amateur in love with my Sony Vaio. I use it for my hobby of storing information about dvd movies and covers for my library and I need the use of the internet. I was thinking about using the Sony Vaio recovery program to put it back to factory specs if you all think this will help.

Thanks in advance,
    ASVU
    (Amateur Sony Vaio User)

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Welcome.

I bet the inside of tower has dust stuck everywhere. I'd read up how to safely clean your tower. Yes there are wrong ways to do this.

4. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply but I have tried all the above except Safe Mode. But how can I do that if it will not boot up?

5. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

Thanks for the quick relply but I took case off and cleaned it. also used power supply tester and it checked good.

6. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

i did clean it and was pretty dirty but not now.

7. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

i even made a dumb mistake and paid a so called certified ms tech $300 and they could not fix it also. trying my best to get that money back now

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I applaud your honesty in admitting your error in judgement.

In the real world this basic decency & accountability is getting rarer.

P.S. If you have additional funds or can recover enough to total ~$300. You can get a pretty decent new laptop if you research & NOT let a salesman "show" you a deal.

9. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

My money is on dying hard drive.

10. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I agree with Wroll. My last computer exhibited similar behavior right before the hard disk died.

11. ASVU

ASVU Registered Member

Thanks guys. If I am reading you right you are telling me my hard drive is about to die on me, right. Could there be a tool I could check my hard drive to be sure?

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You can check the smart status with speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    If you suspect that your hd is "dying" do not use any tools for testing it's surface because you can never know when it will stop working. Instead backup everything important (prioritize and start from the most important staff and leave the less important last).

An easy way to test, is to unplug the cables from the hdd and start the pc. If if it posts normally then either the hdd was misbehaving or the cables gone bad, or it could simply mean that the cables got loose somehow.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.