My sis's PC has transmuted from 32 to 64 by magic?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by AaLF, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I bought a PC down at the local PC sales & repair shop for my sister three years back. Last week I had to take it down for a service as I couldn't fix it at home.

When we picked it up he gave us the news as since the repair was too simple (my shame) he loaded on win7 64bit. When I bought it originally the PC came as a 32bit XP. The PC bloke never said it was capable of 64 bit.

So how is that possible? XPx32bit upgrade to win7 64bit no hardware changes?

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hello,

Well that's kinda nice of him changing the OS for you :blink: :)
    It was a 64 bit machine and he did a custom install.

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I think he didn't want to lose the service job so to keep the fee he loaded on an OEM Win7. A win-win situation huh? Times are hard nowadays for the little sales/repair shops. The big retail chains & on-line shops are killing 'em. And now even repairs are under attack with fast response 'Geeks 2 u" franchises.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Great service! Wish I could get that here. I'd be happy receiving a free upgrade like that.

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Not so much a free upgrade. The original repair took all of a couple of minutes. He felt guilty about charging me a full service fee for so little effort so he loaded on Win7. Worked out about half price for the OEM. Certainly made me feel good after the embarrassment for my dumb over-sight. And he'll get my repeat business for that effort.

How's it going for the little service shop operators in your locale? Big business is slowly killing 'em down here in Australia. Still is work around for business trade but residential end is losing out to the big chain stores and internet sales, like Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.