My Security Setup - Comments & recommendations

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Durad, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Here is what I do to protect end users with no expirience:

1. Antivirus: AVG Free
    2. Antispyware: SUPERAntiSpyware Professional
    3. Link Protection:
    • MVPS HOSTS,
    • SpywareBlaster,
    • CleanCloudDNS,
    • MozillaFirefox with AdBlockPlus
    • plus AVG link protection

I also use SeConfigXP (HOME USERS) tool for XP.

Any recommendations, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Thanks

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd change perhaps two things, considering you're using Firefox with Adblock Plus, which will block ads.

MVPS hosts is not updated regularly, only monthly, if I'm not mistaken. There are better options which updated on a daily basis, and that will block access to malicious domains.
    I'm suggesting an alternate hosts file, considering you already use one, hence I guess it makes you feel safer, and to be honest if does, I don't see what harm it will do:

* http://www.bluetack.co.uk/ You may register here, and then access http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/index.php (Updated, I'd say day yes day no.)

There's a zipped hosts file there.

* http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt (Updated daily)

These two hosts files will only block access to bad domains, not ads. Adblock Plus already allows you to do that.

I would add to Firefox the extension NoScript. For Firefox I don't see SpywareBlaster a needed one, as it will only block cookies, for what I remember. There goes a few years I've stopped using Firefox. You can block cookies with Firefox by default and only allow those you wish to allow. But, if you think it's much of a hassle than keep SpywareBlaster.

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Looks good for a user with no experience. I agree with moonblood and would add Edgeguard Solo or dropmyrights for the browser. I have used dropmyrights when setting up PCs for co-workers and friends and it has definitely made a difference in keeping their PCs clean.

4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I would replace AVG with MSE anyday..But again thats just me.:D and also add sandboxie for those folks:D MSE + sandboxie :thumb:

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AVG AV 2011 now includes AVG Identity Protection, which is a behavior blocker, formerly belonging to SANA Security, which was bought by AVG.

It seems to be doing a great job according to some users.

Sandboxie is an easy to use application, but to what point? How restrictive would it be defined as? I've tried a few approaches in the past with family members, but they all failed at dealing with it, coming with things like: "Hey, this error message appeared. Do I need to allow something? Something is requesting Internet access, do I need to allow it? etc etc"

If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind explaining all over again what things are about and tell them whether or not it is safe to allow certain things to have this or that access, I guess it is a great choice. Otherwise, I don't see it that way, to be honest.

Scenario: E-mail client sandbox, where only e-mail client process is allowed access. User gets an e-mail from a friend with a link to visit. Well, it won't be possible to access the website, because the web browser won't have any access.
    Then either the web browser is allowed Internet access in the sandbox, or the user needs to open a sandboxed web browser to open the link; and the same approach for every other link at any time. Boring.
    But, even this approach is assuming these people are able to pay for Sandboxie (Let's not bring other similar apps into discussion, as we're talking about Sandboxie.). That leaves Sandboxie free version, which, if is still same way, it will allow one sandbox at a time. Closing e-mail client and open web browser each time? Boring, boring.

Let's assume paid version. Same scenario I mentioned above, whenever the user gets an e-mail with a link either opens a sandboxed web browser or always has web browser with allowed with Internet access. Then, error messages from Sandboxie appear saying that xyz process needs some sort of permission. The user needs to decipher the error codes. They just can't handle it anymore and go "bother" the person who installed it in the first place.

Why bother? If these people are up to it, then yes. Otherwise, no.

A solution like EdgeGuard Solo or dropmyrights is more welcome for Internet facing applications, PDF reader, and even media player.

Just my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.