My (Pre Open Source) registered Sandboxie acts unregistered

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by dnaman, Dec 31, 2020.

1. dnaman

dnaman Registered Member

It subjects me to a 5 sec delay then tells me that, yes, it's registered but I need to reactivate the registration.
    Activation server doesn't work.

I presume this dates from the move to Open Source?

What can I do to make it start properly?

2. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

What version are you using? 5.33.6 is the last version released by Sophos and doesn't require activation

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

4. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

@dnaman
    I don't know if this will help but worth a try
    here

see my post #14 Reply

5. henryg1

But it's just not necessary to try to get around activation when 5.33.6 has none!?

6. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes, it's just in case you own, are happy with or prefer, an earlier Sandboxie version. This little 'fix' cuts out those activation reminders.

I believe that those sorts of blocks and trips should never be in a software and all other 'automatic' 'time bombs', 'phone homes', only serve to aggravate the user. Often 'sold' as a benefit to you, rather than the real purpose 'control'; the developer doesn't want to let go of you.
    Developers, cut the umbilical cord, let the purchaser own the software, unconditionally, and use it unimpeded, without worry.
    When a software turns into a monitoring device, I don't want to use it.
    I think that sometimes software developers infantalise their customers on purpose to maintain a parent child relationship, them taking the role of parent.
    By all means put an url to the website for upgrade purposes etc somewhere discreetly within the software but allow the user/purchaser to make up their own mind.
    Some people like a constant active connection and feel insecure without it but I don't, I dislike 'rentware' and anything related.
    Many software developers want to 'milk the cow', more than once and often their 'paternalistic', 'upgrades' etc only serve that purpose.
    If a software is designed well then mostly it will stand throughout time. Yes, sometimes a 'live' connection is necessary but (I believe) used too much.
    The problem is these days that 'platform' 'engineers' are constantly changing the 'ground' that we are forced to 'walk' on which forces software developers to hop from one foot to the other just to keep up.
    If we accept the premise that this is ok as a legitimate modus operandi then we will have our right to 'ownership' taken away completely.
    I've had previous criticism for 'tilting at windmills' but this is a forum after all, this is on my mind, currently and (I think) relevant to the 'thread'.

7. henryg1

Too true :thumb:

8. dnaman

dnaman Registered Member

Sorry for the delay .... what with New Year and you know what things got a bit hectic. I tried patching the .ini file as suggested and it completely fixed the problem (Sandboxie 5.3 64-bit; Windows 8.1). Since I had no particular complaints with this version, I'll run with it for now although I might try installing an updated version over it later on.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Here Ye Here Ye!

I solidly concur with the entire paragraph @sdmod

Copy/Pasted to my vital notes pad. VERY WELL SAID. :thumb:

rentware- :cool:

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

tzuk did not have the license check from the beginning, it started when it got mainstream "hacked" for illegal use. Those who had a valid license were always in advantage. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.