My opinion..

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by 7TWO, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7TWO

7TWO Registered Member

I know that you got lot of work on this suite but i've using this product for more month or two and it is terrible... computer is extremely slower and i see some strange computer behavior.

BSOD is happened (tdx.sys - which is main driver of all drivers, so its impossible to update this) and network communication is terrible. One time its all ok and in another some apps not working (like in interactive mode i am questioned about accept or deny communication for IP6 ::1 .. which is localhost, but why? or another time the Host Process for blah blah makes inbound connection on NMT port but when i deny it no connection works! Tested on 2 machines and on one it was clean system..

I dont know, the beta 2 will be the last version to which i will get chance and if there will be those stability issues this product will be unneccessary.

Beta 1 will go from that PC now.

Best regards.

2. Klitetools

Klitetools Registered Member

the point of using the beta is so when you run into problems like this you come and bring it to their attention, otherwise its a beta so its suppose to be buggy as hell ;) also you can't judge any product based on the beta version, since the difference between the beta and final are that the final is bug free ;)

I mean you don't really think they just gonna slap a "final build" sticker on the beta and tell the public its ready do you?

sounds to me more like you are looking for a free av/firewall, if that is the case then you are at the wrong place and using the wrong app, beta builds are not meant to be used relied on as your main av.

3. 7TWO

7TWO Registered Member

Basically You have right of course, but i ment that in other direction.

I don't know what's wrong but how the AV/firewall can get me to BSOD with TDX.SYS? (its's win component that commands all other drivers! - its crazy!) And other strange behavior is that this firewall basically didn't do what i expect to do. Rules was set correctly and when i set deny rule for the incoming NTP on Windoze Host Process so i expect that (NTP and/or ALL INCOMING) communication will be denied in that way, i didn't expect that i can't use my browsers and sometghing like that. (it did on installed and at fresh install PCs - tested on 3PCs with vista, 1 ultimate, 2 business versions)

Basically it can't get my PC to BSOD with TDX.sys, IT CANT... its CRITICAL PRE-ALPHA error! (yes i have the latest drivers for network adapters)

Beta stage is set when product is almost ready! Beta is Not buggy alpha release! Beta have only few, not so critical stability issued, bugs! Beta is ment to be ready for testing. Testing is not only action to catch the bugs, its action to prove if app is doing what we (or client) expect to do and so on... and that product is not doing what we expect..its doing things in its way..and thats why i called it "strange"

And note to BSOD error report. I almost did it, but why anyone didnt tell to the others that this DUMP FILE can contain things about PRIVACY? Less IT handy people did that, but BE AWARE!! THERE ARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFOS AND STORED PASSWORDS ETC!! DO IT ONLY ON TEST MACHINES, NOT PRODUCTION MACHINES!

AV for FREE? R U crazy? :rolleyes: I got paid for NOD32 and im back on IT coz SmartS isnt ready. I thing its currently somewhere at ALPHA not BETA. I hate software piracy and only one software which i got not licensed is Windows 3.11 on floppies :D )

On the other hand i think SmartS is the great idea, intuitive control and so on, but be aware where u will point with that piece of software. I love NOD32, but from love is only the tap to hate..

I wish you all that lucky testers, but i dont have test machine, only production machine and it is TOO RISKY TO INSTALL BETA1b on that!

4. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Ummm....NO THERE ISN"T!!!!!!!
    Geez, let's not make people think that by sending a Dump file report that you're giving away your BANK info, or Passwords to your Credit Cards or sumthin eh...GAWD!!

There is NOTHING like that in a Crash Dump file so let's not go overboard and scare the unwitting users please!
    Crash dumps "MAY" contain ifo like your IP address, which is pretty damn easy to find anyway, and it's no big deal....24.89.74.226...that's mine...see what you can do with it....NOTHING of use.
    They may also have referrence to your Name (big maybe on that one), the MAC address, Subnet mask, running processes and the like, but NOWHERE in a crash dump report will you find Passwords or Sensitive Personal Info.

Check it out yourself, if your competent enough to understand it that is.

Lordy...what a little FUD can do eh..

5. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Hi all,
    I write here because the title is what I want to give.
    I installed the beta1b yesterday.
    Nothing important to complain. I have XP SP2 home (French) with 1GB RAM and a 3GHz P4 (478 socket).
    The ESS memory usage is fair: 30MB private bytes and the CPU usage is very little (spikes of 3% from time to time).
    It seems that surfing is not impacted and the download speed is what I had with nothing but my Linksys router.
    The firewall is set to interactive.
    Two complains:
    1)Firewall:: the popup windows should show the name and not only the IP address of the site being contacted by svchost. Sometime the name is shown, but I had the case with MS update where only IP is shown.
    2) Antivirus: I miss a context menu in File Explorer to scan specific files or directories.

All in all it's a good product for me.
    As we can see every PC configuration is almost unique. So some have problems, others not.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.