My Opinion On The "Anti-Malwares" Of Today

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by btman, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btman

btman Registered Member

There's the heavy hitters:

Counterspy, Spyware Doctor ( + Threatfire), Spyware Terminator

All are a little more complicated, (VIPRE, Behavior blocking in threat fire and HIPS in ST) and try new things. But are a little (Sometimes really) resource heavy. I usually keep one on my computer. All have a few more issues than the other groups... Counterspy crashes on my computer, Spyware Doctor has the occasional BSOD and False Detections and Spyware Terminator's scan freezes and is god awfully slow and HIPS becomes annoying at times. Detection rate wise, I can't really comment as I don't have them on my system for long periods of time.. Spyware Terminator is probably on the lower end though (But I know that it's being fixed).

Then there's the Mid-Carders. They're called that because they aren't too heavy, aren't too light, and don't have too many issues. They also have daily updates.

AVG Anti-Spyware, A-Squared Free, SUPER.

These ones are most commonly known (Excluding spybot and adaware), and have excellent detection/removal rates. I always have these 3 on my system at all times. I have these ones listed in terms of detection (From my personal experience) though SUPER's always improving and has less false positives than A-Squared (Except SUPER refuses to remove Bearshare from the database ><). They all are easy to use and don't put in too much fancy stuff yet.

And we also have The "Light" Scanners:

Adaware, SpyBot, Arovax Anti-Spyware

All aren't too technical, have lower end detection rates and have other little issues. I have none of these on my system because, Adaware is kind of heavy but the scan is fast (And has that annoying file that doesn't go away) and I have update issues at times. Spybot, is trying out new stuff.. One time I scanned and got like 4 false positives with the beta... A few weeks later I update and scan and it finds nothing. Which is good, but I'll wait till V 1.5 Final before I give any real verdicts. And Arovax Anti-Spyware, has some false positive issues but I'm waiting to install it again in future versions when this and its real-time partner Arovax Shield become a mean anti-malware duo that may make it up there and play with the big boys. All of these scans are fast, but all of these scanners need their detection rates boosted.

Anti-Malwares left out:
    Spy Sweeper, never tried it... Out of every 10 comments I've read about this program around 8 of them are bad.
    Windows Defender: This programs going no-where fast. No new versions, barely any definition updates...
    Trend Micro Anti-Spyware: It's going no where fast either, though some people and tests show it has "Amazing" detection rates. I think more people would use it if it did. They're more focused on improving their anti-virus anyway because it does need to play catchup. I feel this anti-spyware is kind of like Nortons and BitDefenders "Tune Up" utilities. Though the main reason you'd need a tune-up is because their software is so heavy in the first place. BD's registry cleaner won't be top notch any time soon. And neither will this anti-spyware.

Any other ones please inform me if I left them out (If they're slightly important (So no McAfee Anti-spyware) and don't use another companies anti-spywares engine.) I didn't include Anti-Spywares/Anti-Malwares that don't scan. I only included Threat-Fire because it's an anti-malware, and Spyware Doctor is an anti-malware... And they're made by the same company and will probably be put in an Anti-Malware bundle or something eventually.

This is all IMO.

2. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

Where do you file:
    ZoneAlarm AntiSpyware
    ZeroSpyware
    SpyCatcher
    McAfee AntiSpyware
    eTrust PestPatrol

3. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

My guess....probably in a dumpster!!

4. manfredo

manfredo Registered Member

Here's my take:

I just tried SUPER (Free) and it marked my Aurora Media Workshop
    (1 lnk and 1 exe) as Aurora Adware. Does it scan by keyword?
    Regarding BearShare, I don't know but I always got bad files from there.

SpySweeper is heavy in resource but poor in scan.
    SpyCatcher is a so-so.
    PestPatrol takes a lot of time, result is not bad.
    Once tried Microsoft Antispyware (but not yet Windows Defender), it's poor.
    Ewido (haven't tried AVG's) is above average.
    Tried and liking ScanSpyware, but dumped it for being too aggressive.
    Not a big fan of Ad-Aware and Spybot, though.

Best regards,
    manfredo

5. btman

btman Registered Member

SpyCatcher, I had it on a clean system.. Did a scan with it and it found over 100 pieces of supposed malware.

Zerospyware, never tried it.

I listed McAfee in my original post.

I have no clue about ZA Anti-spyware.

Or Pest Patrol.

Are they even worth downloading to find out? From what I've read.. Probably not.

6. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

N1

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm not sure if Prevx2 would fit in this category or not. I tried it for a month and I fit it into my 'suite' as an anti-malware. It ran ok, but it gets lost without an internet connection. It uninstalled rather cleanly in safe mode.

A-squared is really nice. I used to get many FPs, but I think they are doing better. The IDS included with the real time protection is a big plus and easy to understand. They keep improving and have really stepped up the definition updates this week. This newer version is lighter than the last, but it still needs improving.

Windows Defender isn't that bad and it looks like they are getting updates more often. It has an IDS feature also which I like. It is best backed up with other good on-demand scanners.

FPs are a part of life for now and after getting over the initial shock and learning how to deal with them, they become routine. It sure beats the alternative ;).

Cheers, innerpeace

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Talking about freeware in the A/S category-
    A-Squared has been very good in my experience and like innerpeace mentioned,the program keeps improving.

I don't know that I would honestly rank Spyware Terminator on par with CounterSpy and Spyware Doctor.I'm not knocking ST,it's just that I would question whether the scanner covers detections as well as those listed as "Mid-Carders".

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If I use, I will only use AVG AS and SAS, however I am using none.
    These are the best to me, if they like ur system. It,s just my personal opinion.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. But my scanners are now no-ware. Have uninstalled all of them. Never found anything with them, and found lots of CPU power without them.

11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I keep HijackThis(1.99), the rest are interesting to test out...

12. DannieSoft

DannieSoft Registered Member

today there are so many security application that it's really hard to make a right decision.

As for me I've tried spyware doctor,
    spy sweeper and
    anti-keylogger,

and I would put anti-keylogger on top
    than spyware doctor, and spy sweeper.

ht tp://www.anti-keyloggers.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2007
  13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have to disagree with some of the above which completely discounts scanners as useless, but in retrospect without bordering on hyprocrisy myself, i have to admit that on another very similar note, HIPS have 100% totally eliminated my need for ANY anti-virus, eliminated using them "resident", although i do keep NOD32 On-Demand for an occasional look over thru my malware captures & research tests, but thats all. LoL

AS Scanners can & do prove beneficial for the majority even though most unlearned users will simple be content to let them remove certain malicious intuders files which of course is a good thing, but there almost always remains remnants scattered all over their Registry which go long ignored no doubt.

Guess it depends on HOW you conduct your on-line browsing habits whether they are useful to you or not, although i still favor HIPS/Behavioral Blockers over BOTH av's/as's. But i still remember how nice the AS "resident guard" protections have neutralized possible threats when testing real malware against them, so hence my full support of AS scanners as beneficial and no where nearing their end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.