My new Netbook

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

A little assist please. I think Shadow Defender is the best product on the market for staying safe. I'm hesitant to purchase another license for the new machine, due to Tony's disappearance so what to do with the netbook; i'm using Panda Cloud.

Returnil - I purchased & returned. It was not really good at committ or excluding folders. (I was waiting for 64 bit SD, when I tried Returnil)

Prevx - Ages ago I tried it & It had problems updating, I think

OA - Here nice things about this one, not sure which one to try

DW - Here many nice things about this one, I'm trialing it now, not sure what to do & not sure what to do should it catch something.

Your thoughts on these or others for consideration of a Netbook (travel & no banking) running Intel atom, 1gb mem, win7 starter 32 bit, would be greatly appreciated.

SD - Just makes you kind of forget about other antimalware products.

Thanks
    Rico

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

You might want to check this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=269706

It's more general and not addressing SD specifically as you ask. However, my son's McAfee trial expired on his new netbook and I set him up with the free Microsoft Security Essentials per guest's suggestion (supported by ronjor) in that thread and he's had a flawless experience with it since mid-May.

Food for thought at the least.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also a strong supporter of SD. My take is that in the last 2-3 versions of SD I couldn't see any difference as far as my system is concerned which means that the current version of SD will be reliable for many years to come (I have ShadowUser Pro on one laptop which is entering its sixth year, $ 11.5 a year so far, it hasn't been updated since 2005).

We don't really know for sure whether Tony has abandoned the project, and being Chinese software chances are that it might be taken over by somebody else in the near future (I hope not).

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

do you guys think that Tony the developer from ShaDow DeFenDer already left his software?

5. reinwald

reinwald Registered Member

i also have a netbook (msi u100)

been using my security setup for ages.. i suggest you try sandboxie :)

6. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

My netbook has the Atom N470 with 2GB memory so I am able to comfortably run Avast! 5.0, SAS, Immunet Free and Prevx Facebook edition. I just bought an HP Mini 110 for my 6 year old daughter and I have been thinking about just putting the full version of Prevx on it. You might want to consider giving Prevx another try.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi iTrendsNET,

I thought about giving Prevx another try, but even though 'PC Mag' rates version 3 highly, they ding it on leaving (not being good at) cleaning up, leftover or trace malware. I believe the trace malwares left behind by Prevx would leed to FP's down the road.

Rico

8. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

You can try Comodo Internet Security Premium 4.1 as a whole.. AV, Firewall, Defense+ and Sandbox together with Prevx SafeOnline (Facebook Edition). Quite a light setup for me..

Well this free version of Prevx SafeOnline doesn't offer full cleanup.. only for Adwares and certain things(I've forgotten) , however protects you from keyloggers.

You can have MBAM and SAS as On-Demand Scanners on your netbook.. as it doesn't run in real-time no memory would be consumed.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

On my netbook (W 7 Starter), I run Avast 5 free, Sandboxie, DW & WinPatrol Pro. Runs fine and has good response. Much better protection and response than the NIS 2010 Netbook Edition I was running earlier.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I've gone with for now "Panda Cloud Pro" will see. I almost forgot a biggie I use Macrium Reflect on a regular basis.

@Han - That's allot of security what do you do, that you feel the need for so much security?

Rico

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

HAN=Paranoid? LOL!

Seriously, my thinking is, WinPatrol is there so I have an idea of what changes occur to the system (as in new services, scheduled tasks, startups, etc.), Avast is there mainly to scan downloads (but I do have the real-time engaged), Sandboxie to lock the browser up and DefenseWall in case I get stupid and do something I later wish I hadn't... ;)

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I would suggest using Prevx as it's extremely light and still provides great protection (great for netbooks). Perhaps add Hitman or MBAM as on-demand scanner to that netbook and there won't be much trouble with malware. Any more real-time AVs would sadly cripple the netbook (I've had Panda Cloud Antivirus + Immunet 2.0 installed on mine, but they drained all system resources). Prevx is running flawlessly without any hassle.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Prevx = problems with TRACE items & in in-complete cleanup -So says PC Mag.

@Han -Quick look behind you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.