My mom started to use a computer!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dja2k, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yo guys, I need some thoughts. My mom got her own computer though she is opening emails like it was candy for a baby, no regrets. It has Vista and well I am trying to figure out what protective software I can put on her. It can't be difficult nor have pop-ups, she doesn't know what to answer, yep totally non-computer knowledge. I would think it has to be a auto block type software. I was thinking of putting something like Shadow Defender but then she will loose her bookmarks and everything she does, even if its not bad. What do you think? She basically does email and normal browsing, like for cosmetics and stuff. I setup her hotmail to be viewed with that windows live software, probably IE based.

dja2k

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Just install all the Windows stuff-Defender and the like-keep the firewall and system restore-install Threatfire and AVG antivirus.
    A secure enough system with minimum pop-ups or maintenance.
    If she is on a router,then all this is especially ample-its not as if she is a high risk surfer.

3. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Hi dja2k. Norton 360 might be the one you're looking for.

thanatos

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Not so much the high risk surfer that worries me but the opening of all emails with attachments. I don't think I can have minimum pop-ups either, probably aiming at zero pop-ups, I ain't with her all the time thats why, Thanks!

I will go review norton 360 and see how that is. I am not too much of a norton fan, but oh well what counts are the things someone sacrifices for their moms right! Thanks

dja2k

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i use defensewall on the family computers. Once setup it does its job quietly in the background requiring no user input. I also use either avg or avast free for file/email scanning.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Funny how I am just trying defensewall right now for another project, but I am not to familiar with it and its setup. I would use Sandboxie which I am familiar with though all these software will ask a question or two somewhere. My mom freaks even when a pop-up says "do you want to run this, yes or no" thats why I disabled UAC completely. By the way, I would personally prefer avast over avg any day :D .

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

LOL! Your mom is likely younger than I am!

Vista with Defender and Windows FireWall should be pretty good if you install Firefox with the AdBlockPlus add on and keep her away from IE.

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

She doesn't know how to use the web based email so she uses the Live Mail Client, I am not at her computer, but its the one that you install with the Live installer, though its IE based!

dja2k

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I decided to let her do whatever she wants with her computer. I installed FD-ISR and Avast Home with Vista firewall enabled. She is behind a router with its firewall enabled too. I disabled UAC to quiet mode leaving IE protection on. I made an image before she can mess it up so I can easily restore it.

dja2k

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been using Mailwasher by Firetrust for quite a few years and nothing has ever gotten through. I put it on my Daughters computer and as a complete novice she has no problem. Rather than explain how it works, check it out. http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php ;)

11. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

With that setup,you may still need data backup-use Karens Replicator-dead simple for her to use after you set it up-just press a button.

12. buzzqw

buzzqw Registered Member

i had this situation 2 years ago.

Installed linux with those 4 links to applications need (thunderbird/firefox/openoffice/pidgim)

never regret this choice.

For a totally newby, user linux (ubuntu) can be a easy start.. and i don't have to clean/check/format this pc

Now my mom can even attach the photocamera, download the photos, use gthumb for simply manipulation and email it...

.. and i forget.. zero license fees

BHH

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

KR is one of a kind,put it through a grinder and it stay alive.

Don't get it why she did'nt made it payware,its so much better then all the paid stuff around.

14. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

welp no argue the best protection can be easly achieve by insyall linux.its based more protected than any microsoft os.
    for simply mail reading and little net browsing it will to the job more secure than MS os

cheers

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes ! My mom is a Geek. lol :D

16. norman6810

norman6810 Registered Member

I think that's enough.
    Made an image is a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.