My laptop relacement battery came in.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by cheater87, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Do I put it in and let it charge and then turn it on? Or can I plug it in and use it while its chargingo_O

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

mmmmm doesn't it came pre-charged?

I like to charge new batteries before the first use, but nowadays most come ready to use...

There's a lot of lack of knowledge and contradictions when it comes to batteries. Some say that it's no problem connect and disconnect power whenever you want, others say that you must let them drain completely before charging, other say that doing that will harm the battery, and so on...

As I said, I myself like to charge them before first use. I use my laptop cable powered most of the time, and when I use the battery, I let it drain completely, until it reaches 4%. Then I charge it fully. I drain the battery once a week or every 2 weeks. Almost 2 years now and havent experienced significant power time loss.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd say with these modern day batteries it doesn't really matter. Using it while it charges just means it'll take a bit longer to charge. However If you're not going to be using the battery for a while its best to leave it on a low charge level and remove it.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well I am not totally sure about laptop batterys,some battery retain memory example most cordless phones battery its not good to return the phone to its base or charger for each short use,the battery should discharge quite a bit before charging this helps cycle the battery for greater longivity and Is usually stated in user manuals,they delevope memory and will no longer take full charges and will prematurely shorten its life.I believe such as a nicad type do not have this issue.Same princinple should apply for laptops depending type.

5. Dark Shadow

Hello cheater you should be able to use it while the charging ciruit is charging DC (Direct current) other words battery from the charger at the same time your laptop receives its power source from the charger which Feed the laptop with AC (Alternating current)other words house current.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

NiCd (Nickel-Cadmium) is the old technology, which DOES develope memory.
    Nowadays the trend is to use Li-ion, which, theoreticaly doesn't develope memory. But all manufacturers warn that you should expect some power time loss with time.

7. Dark Shadow

yea thats it your correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.