My images disappeared!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by krosenstein, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krosenstein

krosenstein Registered Member

I've just used True Image (booted from a CD) to make some images of the partitions on my drive. I had to abort the last one because I ran out of space. The result was that ALL the images in the folder have disappeared. Now whato_O Grrrr!

WinXP-SP2 True Image v.8.0 build 796

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello krosenstein,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please describe the issue in more words.

What exactly do you mean when saying that you was going to create "some" images of your partitions?

Have you tried to create full or incremental images?

Did you split your image archive to a smaller parts?

Where do you store your images?

When exactly did you abort the disk imaging process?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Where were you creating (storing) your images? In the SecureZone, on a different partition, on an external hard driveo_O

4. krosenstein

different partition

5. krosenstein

Alexey -

I've updated to build 937, made a recovery CD, ran that, and then checked for my images. Not there.

>What exactly do you mean when saying that you was going to create "some" images of your partitions?
    I made an incremental image of one partition, and full images of two others.

>Did you split your image archive to a smaller parts?
    No

>Where do you store your images?
    They were stored on a fourth partition

>When exactly did you abort the disk imaging process?
    At the prompt that said there was insufficient room; I selected the abort option

>Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.
    After I aborted the image process, I exited True Image, rebooted, and then went to the partition where the images were stored so I could make some room. All of the images, including those made previously, were gone.

6. Acronis Support

Hello krosenstein,

Please be aware that it is really hard to figure out what had caused the problem.

Actually, your old images that were created previously and did not interact with the image creation process at that moment should stay untouched.

Could you please tell me how many old images were on that partition?

Please also tell me how many of them were interacting with the backup process at the moment you canceled it? I mean, for example, if you tried to create incremental images for the already existing full images or maybe you were overwriting one of the images using the same file name.

Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step starting from the moment when you launched Create Image wizard.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. krosenstein

>Actually, your old images that were created previously and did not interact with the image creation process at that moment should stay untouched.

I realize that. That's why I'm distressed

>Could you please tell me how many old images were on that partition?

>Please also tell me how many of them were interacting with the backup process at the moment you canceled it? I mean, for example, if you tried to create incremental images for the already existing full images or maybe you were overwriting one of the images using the same file name.

I first made an incremental image of an existing one. Then I made a full image of a second partition. No problem with either.

I then made a full image of a third partition; the destination was a fourth partition, which didn't have enough room for the image. When the process ran out of room, I was prompted to choose a different location or abort. I chose abort. The process appeared to end normally, I closed True Image, checked the destination folder, and discovered that all the images were gone.

8. Vanguard

Vanguard Registered Member

I'm just figuring out if I want to trial True Image and have used other imaging programs. I'm just wondering, did you perhaps forget to use a *different* name for the image file? If you created one image (any type) and it was okay, and you created a second image but used the same fileset name(s) then it wiped out your first image fileset, and an abort of the third image with the same fileset name(s) would've stepped atop the second image fileset except that you aborted the third one which probably deletes it fileset. Just a guess. Another would be that you thought you saved the images onto a 4th and separate partition but maybe they are back on one of the other partitions; i.e., you saved to the wrong partition. Have you searched the other partitions for the image filesets?

9. krosenstein

Vanguard-
    Didn't misname or misfile the new images.

10. krosenstein

Some follow up from Acronis please.

11. quickdraw

quickdraw Registered Member

TI is very useful in this regard, at least it has been with me. All I've ever had to do is name the first file...example I may be imaging 9G's on my system, and I opt to make the files roughly 4.2G's in size. There will be multiple files afterward, but I only have to put in one filename....like cbu9175 and TI takes care of the rest by attaching a 1, 2, 3, 4....etc to the end of my filename. It keeps track of it very nicely. So I don't think this happened to him.

QD

12. Acronis Support

Hello krosenstein,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I have never heard about this sort of problems and inclined to believe that this one has been caused by accident and most likely will not happen again.

I would recommend you to keep using the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 as usual and let me know if the problem will appear again.

However, if you want us to proceed with the investigation then please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility. Use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

After checking the hard drive please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Send these files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.