My IdeaPad Y50-70 now runs Linux, too - Nvidia, 4K, details

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a nice little experiment full of technology buzzwords. An article and review of my new dual-boot setup on Lenovo Y50-70 laptop, equipped with hybrid Intel and Nvidia graphics and 4K display, covering installation of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, UHD display scaling and associated problems with desktop, login screen and GRUB menu, proprietary drivers, hardware compatibility, performance, responsiveness, battery life, applications, various quirks and bugs, and more. Enjoy.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lenovo-ideapad-y50-kubuntu.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks for the article.
    You wrote,
    On my two Kubuntu 20.04 systems, the Driver Manager is offered via System Settings\ Driver Manager. Available by default, there was no need to install it.

And you wrote,
    That is odd. I thought double-click was default since quite some time?
    On my two Kubuntu 20.04 installations, the desktop was set for double-click by default.
    However, my installation was only a partially clean installation, a new 20.04 installation but I kept 18.04 settings in /home [1].

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

By the way, the 'Kubuntu 20.04' link in the article directs to the Disco Dingo article, instead of the Focal Fossa one. No biggie, but I thought I'd mention it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.