My GSM!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Cochise, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I realise that this is is going to be absolutely of no consequence whatsoever to you all but this morning I received in the post my General active service medal with clasp from the British Ministry of Defence for my service in the Canal Zone and Korea in the 1950s.

It has only taken 51 years for successive British Governments to admit that we where on Active Service.

National Service required that all 18 year olds did 2 years service or go to jail! So after Conscription and 16 weeks training we were shipped off to all the 'Hotspots' of the World. Korea, Malaya, Kenya, Egypt etc.,

When all these conflicts had faded away into history the British Government, in it's wisdom, decided that these events never happened because they didn't want to cause problems with the French, Germans, and the Arab Nations and so we we were forgotten, even the one's who gave there lives and there were many.

When they had finished with us we were just sent off home, back to the life we had left but with 2 years torn from our youth. We where never asked if the things we had seen and the things we where required to do had had any effect on any of us, no councilling was ever offered, you see in those days, in the 50s' 'Stress' or 'Trauma' hadn't been invented, in those days it was called 'That's Life' and you got on with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, I'm too old for that, but I do think that that era turned out the best "Teenagers" in the World and it turned us into Men, the like of which we will never see again.

Sorry about this but I just felt I needed to let it out, I hope you will all understand.

Regards, ( and still :cool: :D) Cochise.

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:DCongratulations Cochise!!! It's about time your service was duly recognized!!! :D :D :D

3. spydespiser

spydespiser Registered Member

And from me Cochise ;)

Its about time governments cut all the lies/deceptions/denials about their true actions/involvements/ in issues past and present around the world, i am in no way political in any way and don't want to come across as such, but when i see politicians/government agencies in interviews all i see is spin/bull/and 1/2 truths

They should recognize and acknowledge what these non-existent participants do and have done! as a lot of these "operations" still exist

regards

SpyD :cool:

4. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) Congrats, Cochise, from a fellow Korea "visitor"...my time was back in the '60's, but no one was taking shots at me then.

...Nice of them to finally "get around to it". But then, we've all learned (hopefully) to get along pretty well without waiting for politicians to do the right thing...

Again, glad to see the British have found the time for those who gave their best in the prime of life.

Best regards,

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Every one that served their country should get some recognition for their efforts. Putting your life on the line is no small thing. Congratulations :D

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Everyone who is living in a free nation has the veterans to thank for EVERYTHING. (And unfortunately, almost everyone forgets that fact).

Acadia

7. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Aint that the truth? :D

Aint that the SAD truth? :'(

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Congratulations on the over-due medal Cochise.

9. root

root Registered Member

Recognition for service done, although late, at least is better than non at all.
    Glad to hear it. And sharing good news always has benefit, I think.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

also glad to hear you were finally recognized; and thanks for sharing with us as well.

11. Tazmin

Tazmin Registered Member

well done Cochise, a long overdue recognition :)

~Tazmin~

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hello Darlings, I'm Back,
    Wow!! What a response, Thank you all. I wasn't actually looking for praise or sympathy I just felt the need to let it out. And as usual on this most happy site you all understood the feelings I had. Thank you.
    And yes, AplusWebMaster I know exactly what you were trying to say. Must admit Team, you brought a tear to the eye.

Crikey! I leave for two minutes and when I get back there are Wedding Bells, good people with all the Happiness they deserve, there are people I feel I know personally going through herrendous medical problems and personal difficulties and what do I find, all the strength and all the genuine loyalties of the good souls on this site rallying to the comfort and consolation of 'Friends' they have probably never met or even seen in their lives and yet they open up their hearts without a moments thought, in my opinion better than close family on occasion.

Just thought I'd add this considering we appear to be in a bit of a poetic mood:-

Security is Wilders aim,
    And we all try to play the game,
    We bring our problems one and all,
    And someone's ALWAYS there on call,
    But underneath our Puter query,
    I can't help feeling there's this theory,
    That underneath our questions trends,
    We're most 'secure' with Wilders' Friends.

Oh! and just on a lighter note, buy your wife a Jaguar Snowbound, then shut her in the Garage with it, your problems will be over in seconds, (Have you seen their teeth).LOL

The very best of Health to you all, Cochise. (Still :cool:)

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Cochise.

That poem was excellent!!!
    I think it eloquently expresses the way a lot of members feel about this forum.

Have a karma cookie on me. ;)

Best Regards,
    the Tester.

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Congratulations cochise! :D

I'm new here but both my beloved grandfathers fought in world war 1 and 2. They told me so many stories about brave men and woman who put their lives at risk just so we could have our freedom today.

I tip my hat to u.

Oh, and about that jaguar, do u know where i can get one? ;)

Snow bound

15. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Congratulations for the well-deserved medal!

Uguel :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.