My Facebook pics appeared on a Web Advert

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by iwod, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Yes that is very scary. When you see your Profile Pics being used for stupid Advert.

However my pc are not infected. ( At least according to my knowledge )
    I am wonder how did they get my pic in the first place?

By Checking your Facebook cookies for username? and then Reading the Profile pic from Facebook search?

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

your pictures belong to facebook, they can do whatever they like with them.:eek:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The most disgusting behaviour by any social network site in my knowledge. I wish to hang them.

4. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Well I doubt Facebook did this purposely to spook you. Might be just some random them using a profile in advertising and you caught them at the very moment ... definitely weird and makes you wonder, though. You just have to remember that Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, are social engineering soft targets, right now. If anything does seem out of the ordinary, it probably is, and just ignore. Don't respond.

I wouldn't use any of those I mentioned unless my browser and computer was rock solid. You're running a computer security assault course everytime.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually it's part of their service. It's enabled by default. You need to disable it. I wil post a link later.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I want to emphasis that the advert is not from inside facebook, it was some random website having my profile on it.

I manage to do a Scan with AntiVir and found nothing. However Norton 2010 found many Trojan Vundo, i dont know if that is anything to do with it.

7. Keyboard_Commando

Are you sure that is a proper Norton product from the website? I'd be surprised if Avira missed Vundo, I mean I know theyre prolific virus updates (vundo) but it would seem strange Avira missed them in the first place.

8. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i am also very surprised too. Dont know how it happen. Avira never detected it in the first place.

9. thathagat

thathagat Guest

is avira your real time av or norton...?

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Avira. It has always been. But i never notice it. When i saw my facebook pics i immediately thought of Trojan or Keyloggers. So i downloaded Norton without realizing i had Avira installed.

11. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

i would still recommend a scan with mbam and superantispyware

12. btman

btman Registered Member

I'm not sure.. But even if someone else who's taken a photo of you got infected... The photo is still on their computer and then the ad could have still taken and used it.

13. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Facebook own you. As soon as you upload a picture of yourself, it is theirs, and if you choose to delete your photo, they are still allowed to keep it. That's what you agree to when signing up :)

...Yes, I still use Facebook :p

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If you ran another AV (in this case, Norton) without having completely removed Avira (or any other resident AV) the scan report is pretty much worthless.
    Check your privacy settings on Facebook. Is it possible you are sharing your profile with the world?
    It is also quite possible to access someones photos through a "friends' " profile, or a friend of a friend.
    Example: A friend of a friend, tags the friend in a picture. The sub album that picture is in then viewable by "friends of the friend".
    Ideally, it should not be, but it is. Just something to be aware of.
    Yes, I use Facebook. The privacy settings have to be nailed down. And i think that not many users bother with reading the full privacy agreement.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

See, that's why I can't bring myself to join Facebook.
    You upload your photo and they basically own it.

17. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

What utter nonsense, not removing a previous product IN NO WAY adversely affects detection of threats.

19. Keyboard_Commando

The saga continues ...

And now ...

"Facebook hits back at viral rumours over use of member's photos"

^^ source

20. gates

gates Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.