My Extendia AVK just ran out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ekwipt, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekwipt

ekwipt Registered Member

Hi,

I've had Extendia AVK for the last year and it has been an excellent product but my subscription has ran out. I'm looking to buy a new anti virus and from what i've read today in the forums alot of people are saying go with either NOD32 or Kaspersky. Now i'm thinking of one of those and also the new version of AVK by GDATA as i haven't had a RAV update for ages with Extendia AVK and i'm not going to pay for a subscription to a product that uses KAV definitions when i can just use that actual companies product (Kaspersky). You people seem to know what you are on about so i'll let someone try and sway me for one of the following: NOD32, Kaspersky or GDATA AVK.

Thank you

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

KAV or NOD either way you have a top-tier AV on your machine. Try the free trial versions and see which works best on your machine.

3. ekwipt

ekwipt Registered Member

ok thanks,

Do you think the extra dollars for KAV Pro is worth it? As the other two are evenly priced.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Not if you are a homeuser with no need for the extra configuration and the heuristic detection for officedocuments. The detection is the same whether you choose Personal or Pro. I use Pro & like it, but Personal will do the job just as good, but you will save some $ by choosing Personal.

Also in 2-3 months Kav 6 (which you will be able to upgrade to, so backup your key, if you buy) will be out, in this there will only be one version which includes everything plus a couple of new ones like a proactive module. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  5. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

As you are used to excelent worm/trojan detection I would stick with Laspersy powered AVS. NOD, while an great AV is not good against these type of threats.

Mt vote would be Kaspersky or the new version of AVK.

6. .....

..... Registered Member

Hi Patrician, NOD32 has excellent detection ratios of malware, especially via its advanced heuristics. Wait till the new AV-Comparatives tests, then we will see exactly HOW good they as of today :cool:

7. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

I've done my own test on a web site that I know puts nasties on your system and while KAV, (and any KAV based AV) gets all of them, Avast 4 Home & Pro catch 3 of them (the ones they don't are spyware) and even AVG gets one, NOD32 caught none. Not one. On an on demand scan NOD32 is superb, however it's resident scanner doesn't function as well as some of it's rivals were trojans/worms and malware are concerned.

8. .....

..... Registered Member

A test of 4 samples? :rolleyes:

C'mon mate, i personally use KAV, but thats not the point here. 4 peices of malware not detected doesn't really mean a thing.

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The resident scanner should be as good as the on-demand scanner.
    I think you need to set client compatibility to 'higher efficiency' and maybe change some settings in IMON.

10. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Should detect the same. Have you checked your settings for the IMON HTTP scanner?

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

If your system has the ability run GData AVK 2005, it is a great AV and even though the english support sucks sometimes, you still KAV and BD updates through the day to protect against the new nasties. KAV, would be my next choice, then NOD32. But if you weren't stuck on NOD then you may want to look at VBA32, and Dr. Web. They are both light as well.

Nice thread hijack NOD fans.... :rolleyes:

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Original poster wants opinions. No hijack here.

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I would recommend either NOD32 or GDATA AVK out of these three - both are excellent :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.