My Experience With Returnil

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by cm1971, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I was using the 2010 edition and it worked well. I reinstalled Windows and for whatever reason decided not to install Returnil. After a while I changed my mind and decided to install it again. I downloaded and installed the 2011 edition. Things went horribly wrong. Returnil would become very unstable and crash every time I tried to use it. The computer was VERY slow so I ended up having to uninstall it. Later on Microsoft issued a patch this past patch Tuesday that absolutely would not take on my computer. After doing some research I found out that others were having problems with that specific update.

I decided to reinstall Windows and see if that would help. After I did that all the updates installed with no problem. I then decided to try Returnil again. I installed Returnil first and then the other security programs. It works flawlessly now. I think Online Armor and Avira was preventing it from installing properly when I was having the problems with it. I had even deactivated Avira and put OA in learning mode and still had problems.

I found out that it can make a huge difference in what order you install things. After I reinstalled Windows and installed Returnil first it has been working great ever since. I decided to post this because it may help someone that is using Returnil with OA and Avira. They get along great if you install Returnil first. Returnil has become one of my favorite security apps. The only thing I would change about it would be to have a version that only has the virtualization with no antivirus.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi cm1971,
    Thank you for the analysis and report. I have updated the development team on this over the weekend and we are considering a general "warning" for users to consider uninstalling Avira/OA, install RSS Pro, and then reinstall Avira/OA after RSS is fully installed.

Sometimes order does make a difference though it is not universal so a good reason for a recommendation rather than an instruction to do this in every case.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.