My experience with FDISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by SourMilk, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This is/seems to be the critical issue between you guys when assessing your different needs. There is no dispute about the importance of back-ups.

AFAIK Peter has one Partition: C which is all his goodies and ergo FD-ISR can effectively do it all

AFAIK E-A is moving down the multi-partition route and so needs to have confidence in a full drive recovery option or individual partition option.

@Peter, if you have software crash then FD-isr saves your ass with minimal issues. If youhave disc failure then offsite archives do the job,

I have both issues covered with BING/IFW/IFD also. I accept that FD-ISr will/may have speedier recovery in some circumstances but limited to your primary partition. Hence back-up of the back-up. :eek:

Either way thier will be some time "resetting" +/- some preboot disc work.

Yes?

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have multi disks and partitions. I'd much rather keep os and data separate I also don't really need data anchoring as a result.

Disk 1 C: OS
    Disk 1 D: temp data
    Disk 2 E: Documents
    Disk 2 E: music
    Disk 3 F Mirroring

I have a rolling Image from TI of C: and use scheduled FD snapshots to archives on to disk 3.

In the event of a Disk 1 failure - just bare metal any TI image and then import the FD archive of choice - quick and easy.

For data I use Mirrorfolder - to copy just changes to Disk 3 - real time.

All supported by an infrequent TI image of Disk 2 and 1 to an External USB disk.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Not long ago, I was just like Peter : one partition [C:].
    I didn't know anything about partitioning. Wilders taught me how to do it.
    It all started with reading the manual of ShadowUser and one of the recommendations was separating your system from personal data.
    Than I read about partitioning and how to do it and now I have two partitions : system and data, but that was pretty easy.
    My next problem was storing all my personal data on the data partition, including my emails and address-book and without making my Windows unstable. It took awhile, but I could solve this problem.
    I'm watching my computer now to see if this separation really works without problems. Meanwhile I'm preparing the next step of my global plan.

4. Longboard

LOL

Sounds ominous.
    You Belgians have always worried me.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My question then is was there a good reason that ShadowUser gave or was it because of a limitation of the Shadowuser program.

6. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

StorageCraft recommends partitioning with ShadowUser because users might want to exclude (not shadow) a particular partition and not another. For example, partitioning a disk into the system volume and data volume could give the user the option to protect the system volume but still have flexibility to save programs and changes to their data volume.

If a user does not have partitions setup, then they may setup exclusions on a folder or file basis, which is essentially the equivalent concept. It works just fine if you store your datafiles in an organized manner like in My Documents.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

What new are you trying to tell me?

8. ErikAlbert

The main reason of ShadowUser was to protect your personal data.
    ShadowUser (SU) was the reason to learn about partitioning, but nothing more than that.
    After reading the other advantages of partitioning, SU wasn't the reason anymore.
    I would partition my harddisks even when my computer wasn't connected to internet.
    There was a time, I was pro SU, meanwhile I learned about FDISR, RollbackRx, DeepFreeze, ... so my attitude towards SU changed during all these months because there are other possibilities, it's just a learning process.
    Besides I never work with software names, I'm more fascinated by how these softwares work, what they can do for me, in which way I can use/combine them and how they fit in my plan.
    I admit, I'm slow but I never was in a hurry eiither. Every step I've taken until now WORKS and every software I bought or freeware was necessary.

The most interesting software I bought was Acronis True Image, not because of its name, but because of what it DOES.
    I'm very sure that BootitNG,IFW,IFD would have done the same job, but they weren't easy enough for me.
    And believe me, I tried to break ATI in every possible way and unusual situations, I could think of, before I bought it, but it kept on doing its job properly. So there was no reason for me to buy the Terabyte softwares.

9. ErikAlbert

Nothing, I'm not your teacher. Does it really matter to you, what I'm saying. I'm just telling what I think and you don't have to agree with me.
    Nobody has to listen to me or even reply to me. I'm here to learn about softwares, to share thoughts with other members and to help me out when I'm in trouble. That's the main purpose of Wilders.
    Because I'm a newbie, I take more at Wilders, than I can give. Maybe one day I can give something back, who knows.

10. ErikAlbert

LOL. Don't you worry about me. I'm a very nice and honest guy. I don't have any problems with sharing my difficulties with Wilders. I'm just trying to find out how to protect my computer without needing 30+ security softwares. That's the global plan, no secrets at all.

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

For what it's worth, what you said was useful to me because it helped emphasize the differences among us. The better we can keep that in mind, the more flexibly we can think and communicate. I think that enhances our learning experiences. Learning is what I'm here for also -- either to learn new information or to receive constructive criticism of what I share.

12. ErikAlbert

Thanks for telling me. I was at least usefull in some way :D and I agree with the rest of your post. I'm doing exactly the same thing here.

13. Longboard

@E-A

Echo

You are already giving :D

LBD

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

ErikAlbert

Just curious.How can someone with over 2000 posts at Wilders, still call oneself a "Newbie"?.You don't sound as one and certainly don't fit my description of one.lol!.If your a "Newbie", then we better create another category called "Pre-Newbie".

15. ErikAlbert

Alot of my posts don't contain really usefull info, I ask more than I answer and if I answer, it's usually based on my readings of other posts. It's not the number of posts that counts, it's the knowledge and experience that counts.
    If I read the qualified posts at Wilders and see how these people talk about hardware and software with knowledge and experience, then I consider myself as a newbie.
    If I read the threads, that start with a problem I don't even understand, while other members solve this problem, than I consider myself as a newbie.

Of course after reading forums and websites for two years in my freetime, I know more than my wife, who doesn't know anything about my computers.
    At work, I don't learn much about computers and although I work in a computer department of a company, my job has nothing to do with computers. I analyze people's job and I work with less-knowledgeable users all the time.
    Once my job is done I visit our computer department (I'm hardly there) and then we start talking about how to put that application on computer (mainframe or pc).
    I design usually the GUI and the listings, documents, ... and I also provide the data we need for this application.
    Our computer department does all the technical stuff, not me and that's why I know so little about computers.
    But all this has nothing to do with security. I don't create scanners or firewalls.
    I'm a pure application analyst, not an analyst-programmer, because my boss doesn't believe in the combination of analyst and programmer in ONE person.

The only reason why I'm here is because I have a home computer that is connected to the internet and you know what that means : troubles :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.