My Experience with ATI-8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by clearthinkn, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clearthinkn

clearthinkn Registered Member

My experience with ATI-8 has been interesting and frustrating.

I started with a new 200 GB seagate hard drive.

I used Wipe Drive V3.3 because it erases all partition tables and drive formats - FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and Linux. It took 12 hours to clean the 200 gb hard drive.

Next I loaded my Windows 2000.

Then I had the bright idea of loading Norton Go Back along with ATI-8.

It was a BIG MISTAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I performed two backups to an external firewire hard drive.

The first Back Up was before I loaded the Microsoft security patches and the second Back Up was after I loaded the Microsoft security patches for Windows 2000.

I found it interesting to see my Panda anti virus program detected two viruses while downloading all the Micrsoft Security Patches for Windows 2000.

ATI-8 worked great up to this point.

It detected all my drives and and made a fast back up of my hard drive.

However, when I tried to restore the Back Up data on the fly it did not see my external Hard Drive.

It showed a grayed-out icon of Norton Go Back.

I suspected there was a conflict so I tried to disable and uninstall Norton Go Back.

No luck... the Add Remove Programs in the control panel would not work.

Next I tried to boot off the ATI-8 CD and it would not recognize my external hard drive.

I got so frustrated that I ran Wipe drive again.

Twelve hours later I started back at square one.

After loading Windows 2000 again I reloaed ATI-8 and then booted up off the ATI-8 CD. This time it recognized my external hard drive and I restored the first Back Up.

I was able to uninstall Norton Go back. I was a happy camper so I decided to restore the second Back Up I made of Windows 2000 with the security patches.

It restored the Back UP in under 10 minutes, but this was a Big Mistake on my part.

I could not Uninstall Norton Go Back and I had my original problem back again.

Then I took out my trusted Wipe Drive v 3.3 once again and 12 hours later I had a new clean hard drive.

I loaded up Windows 2000 again. Next I booted up off ATI-8 in the CD drive to restore the first Back up I made of Windows 2000 without the Unsecure Security Patches.

This time things went fast and easy.

It recognized and restored the first Back Up I made in under ten minutes.

I hope my experince helps somebody avoid the frustrating experience of having to reload software for three days in a row.

I am happy with the product, but I wish I would have known about the conflict with Norton Go Back before I started.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

hello clearthinkn,

Glad it all worked out in the end. Not that I wish to rub salt in your wound but for the record here is an extract from the Acronis True Image Online FAQ (it's the same in the True Image User's Guide other than, in this case, it refers to Roxio GoBack):

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.