My email a/c has been hacked!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vikram112in, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikram112in

vikram112in Registered Member

Hi,

Iam not sure if this is the right place to write this post but if you know a alternate place to post this, please let me know. I think my email has been hacked.

Few days back, an email had been sent from my email id to all my contacts with a link in the email. I don't see this email in my sent messages, either it could have been deleted from my sent messages or iam assuming it was sent in a sophisticated way. Anyways, i immediately changed my password and security questions and enabled second sign in verification in my yahoo id. I have no other email or apps linked to this a/c. Now, to sign in, apart from password, it was necessary to answer a security question or enter a verification code sent to mobile.

But yesterday, again a email was sent from my id to my contacts containing a link. I don't know how this could have happened with second sign in enabled. Anyways, i now changed my second sign in to only verification through mobile. But weird things continue to happen.

To ensure no virus on my system, i scanned my system with KIS 2013, MBAM and hitmanpro but nothing was detected. Pls give me suggestions to resolve this problem. If nothing will help, i may have to close my email id i have been using since 2004. If i may have to close my id, is there anything i need to know before importing my emails to a new id? Should i scan my emails by downloading them to pc before transferring them?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Vikram

2. gambla

gambla Registered Member

I don't have much experience with this but i guess you can't do much. To abuse your email account it's not necessary to hack your PC locally. You know that all your emails are usually sent via the server of your email provider. Imho only the provider can investigate here, so you should contact him. He may can change all relevant account data that are "behind" your email account.

However if you're forced to create a new account, i'd recommend to use an email client like outlook. Use a very strong password and don't store any contacts on the server anymore.

Hope i could help a little.

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I think changing passwords is the best thing you can do. I would also scan your system with an offline AV from a boot CD. I've had good luck with Kasperky. Assuming your system is clean, perhaps someone got hold of your contact list and is spoofing your email address.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.