My disk shows red and Invalid

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Piko71, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Please help me to find out what's wrong with my system.
    I installed Windows 7 64 bits on an other disk when I upgraded from Windows XP pro SP3. It works well but when I installed Paragon Drive Backup 9 64 Personal on W7 it shows the disk with W7 as red and labeled Invalid.

I am a newbie but I think it has something to do with partitions I have on my disks. In the Control Panel it looks like this:
    Disk 0 Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) -Here I have my Windows XP
    Disk 1 Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) Here I have my Windows 7 and this is Invalid in Drive Backup 9
    Disk 2 Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Logical Drive)
    Disk 3 Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) This one is external USB disk
    Disk 4 Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) This one is external USB too

What I should do? And please, if you want help me don't forget that I am newbie on this so I need detailed instruction, please!

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Boot into Windows 7.

Use Windows Disk Management to shrink the Windows 7 partition a tiny bit (1 or 2gb is enough ). Then extend it back again.

Now see what Paragon says.

Hope it helps.

3. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Thank You SIW2!
    I did as you said. I shrink 1.9 Gb and it went OK. Then I extended the same amount. It went not so good.
    I get message something like Volume is corrupted... and I get a little part 2.9Mb Unallocated and rest of it 232.8 Gb Not formatted! Coulor went wine red istead!

I don't feel good! :argh:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

5. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Hi,
    Yes, I get it with Windows Disk Management.

No I do not have PW bootdisc but I have USB-bootstick made with Disk Backup v.9.

I boot with it but there was not Partition Recovery so I tried to boot with Windows 7 back. I couldn't!

I boot from USB stick again and tried restore disk image I did just few days before. I couldn't make disk 1 (unformatted) to target.

I boot from disk 0 with Windows XP it was OK. I am there now.

I tried to restore partition on disk1 with Partition Magic v.8 but couldn't.

I tried to format disk 1 with Partition Magic but couldn't, Partition Magic crashed and stood mailing all the night.

Today I wanted format disk 1 with Windows XP, after 3 hours it said: Windows can not finish formating...

And here I am now!

What to do?o_O

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You used Partition Magic?

I am pretty sure that is what caused the problem in the first place.

Partition Magic is NOT COMPATIBLE with the new Vista/Win7 partitioning rules.

You could have downloaded Partition Wizard boot disc (it's free ) and probably recovered the situation.

Now you will need to use Partition Wizard (NOT Partition Magic) to delete the win 7 partition.

After that , you should be able to restore the Paragon Image.

Hope it helps.

7. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Thank you very much for your time!

Well, I used Partition Magic bur first when I lost a disk, so I wander if it was really that what caused the problem.

I thank Haven that I have left my Windows XP on the other disk.

Thanks again, I will try Partition Wizard if I find it.

Help! I can't find such a thing as Partition Wizard boot disc, not free and not for purchase neither.

Piko

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

9. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Thank You!
    I found it and used it but it was too late!
    I loose all my data and OS.
    I think that it happend when I shrink the partition and then extended it back again.

It went wrong as I wrote before.

My problem is that I still don't know why all it happened from the beginning! Why suddenly one disk went red and Invalid in Disk Backup program but still worked and was Healthy in Windows?

I bought a new disk and I prepare to install Windows 7 on it. Before that I made the disk image of the disk with Windows XP on it. I did it with Disk Backup v9 Personal from the USB stick I made before.

After the backup the DISK went RED and UNALLOCATED in the Disk Backup v9 program.

I rebooted computer and it started without problems. Windows shows all disks Healthy.o_O

So my question is still the same:
    Should I modify it in some way to avoid the next catastrophe?

Please, read how my partitions are labeled on my disks (up in the first post of this thread) and give me a tips how I should manage them.

10. Piko71

Piko71 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.