My dads pc

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by muf, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

I think it's hosed tbh.

Running unbelievably slow.
    IE takes about 4 minutes to open
    Firefox won't open at all
    SAS won't run
    Prevx is running but it won't initiate a scan

He said he saw a flyer on the floor in his front garden to a 'kinky website' and ever since he visited it he has had problems. He confirmed that websites he tries to go to are being re-directed.

Shall I try to clean or reformat? I'd love to know what's on there. Purely out of curiosity. The silly bugger told me he only sticks to ebay and hotmail. So I set up an easy lightweight system and then he goes and does this...

2. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Arent there anti-malware boot cds that scan from the boot CD?

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My Grand Daughter got infected so bad I couldn't access the AM or the AV. I basically had your situation. I had to re-install Windows.

4. muf

muf Registered Member

I've got a host of apps and fix it tools on a closed cd. I just hope his dvd drive is working. I love nailing malware but I hate it when the good programs won't even start. Anyway, I'm going round to his house tomorrow to give it a whirl. Should be fun. Maybe not.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Have you tried to boot into Windows Safe Mode? It would be best to run any anti-malware scanners from Windows Safe Mode.

A couple of people I know have scanned and cleaned their PC's with SuperAntiSpyware Portable and have been pleased with it.

If you cannot get the PC to boot into Windows Safe Mode, you may try one of the anti-malware type Rescue CD's. They typically boot into a Linux Operating System and run the anti-malware scan from the PC's memory. I have had good hardware compatibility with the AVIRA Rescue CD, but I do not have any experience in cleaning any malware with it.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Tried Rkill?

7. muf

muf Registered Member

It wouldn't boot into safe mode.

Ran the following:
    Rkill
    Fixexe
    F-Secure Blacklight
    DrWeb Curit
    SDfix
    MBAM

Even tried run>>%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\swreg IMPORT %systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\Restore_SafeBoot_WindowsXP_SP3.reg to get safe mode working.

All I found was one file being flagged as a trojan by DrWeb. It seemed like a legit but I got rid anyway. Managed to also run SAS but it took 10 minutes to start up! All it found was an orphan file. Nothing really of note on the pc.

I decided to format and start again. The pc is flying again. Just got to set up his internet connection. He only uses it for browsing the net and e-mails. Fortunately, he only uses hotmail for his e-mails. He's lost nothing of importance. Don't know what was causing it. Looks like system file problems rather than malware. Anyway, I've pressed the reset switch. Sometimes that's all there is left to do...

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.