My dad is letting me install free anti virus software on his work PCs.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cheater87, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I was thinking Comodo but learned it has D+ and sandboxing. If I disabled those (would be too confusing for him and the people there) and just had anti virus with cloud scanning enabled would that be OK. MSE was my other choice but the rogue MSE program worries me because I'm afraid if a new varient comes out and takes over the real MSE they would think that it is the real one and buys one of the rogues it offers.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I think that the licenses for free AVs usually restrict their use to home use only, not business or commercial use. There may be exceptions.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Panda Cloud seems to fit your requirements. I don't know about business use though.

5. cheater87

From what I have seen Panda Cloud does not have a very good detection rate.

6. The Hammer

It's said to be excellent at keeping a clean system clean. Excellent malware blocking.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364844,00.asp I'm trying out MSE at the moment and liking it a lot although full scans are very slow.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  7. cheater87

I'll go with MSE. I just hope the rogue MSE does not get on the computers. That would be confusing for the people there.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is possibly the worst recommendation for a business ever. Please, consider that programs with high false positive rates can be detrimental to a business, don't just blindly recommend your favourite AV.

Good luck with that, I don't think I'd ever recommend free AV to a business though, they just don't have the amount of features that, for example, Microsoft Forefront provides.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

What type of biz is this? Non-profit, small, education?

10. The Hammer

I think you could do worse, a lot worse in fact. I didn't see anything about high FP's anywhere, although I'll respect your sources if you have any, and it's not my favorite. I don't even use it, although a number of respected Wilder's members do. The OP mentioned Cloud ,Antivirus and Free and Panda Cloud is all three. So don't pick my favorite for me I can do that myself. I unlike some people don't limit my suggestions to what I use.:p

11. cheater87

Lemon law.

12. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Brief Summary:

COMODO CIS is free for all users, has a free Central "Endpoint Security Manager" for up to 5 users. (Disabling both D+ and default sandboxing will make it less "ferocious" - but these 2 features are its main strengths).

PC Tools AV Free is free for all users. (Has a cookie "fixation" but otherwise works okay.)

MSE is allowed for businesses with up to 10 PCs only.

Panda Cloud AV Free is ok for use by non-profit organizations but not for-profit companies.

Avast, AVG & Avira free editions - definitely only for home and non-frofit use, i.e. both conditions must be fulfilled.

13. The Hammer

Your buying a car?

Thanks for the summary.

14. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i would recommend you comodo for its very good detection
    as for SME , i think u dont have any choice than MSE

15. cheater87

I know disabling Sandboxing and D+ will make it less powerful but I don't know how the people here would react to a D+ alert. Or if it sandboxes a file they needed.

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Comodo will not perform well if D+ and Sandbox are disabled. their AV engine is not that powerful to be used as standalone.

17. simisg

simisg Registered Member

disagree comodo antivirus has very strong heuristics and now has cloud detection and finds more than 95% in most tests
    you can have d+ in training mode sandbox disabled

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

MSE is a wonderful choice. Add SafeOnline and he will be very secure.

19. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

agree:thumb:

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I will also recommend MSE along with Prevx SafeOnline for his PCs:)

21. Bickz

Bickz Registered Member

I'm wondering, is safeonline free facebook version ok to use in a business?

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If it is free, why should there be a penalty. I dont think this would cause the earth to implode.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Subject to all of the other terms and conditions of this Software License, Prevx grants you a non-exclusive license to download and run one or more copies of the Prevx Software on personal or business computers.

b.Business Use
    If you downloaded or purchased your Prevx Software or Software License Key for business use, you may only use the Prevx Software on computers used by you in connection with your business or occupation, or any other use which is not home domestic use, and references to "business use" in this Software License are to any such use. The Prevx Software may and may only be used for your benefit on computers in your possession, owned or leased by you. If you are a company, you may also use the Prevx Software for the benefit of your Affiliates on computers in your or your Affiliates' possession, which are owned or leased by you or your Affiliates.

looks ok to me, MSE and Prevx SafeOnline and Daddy will luv u.:argh:

24. guest

guest Guest

I would prefer Comodo AV better than MSE, at least when I tested both the last time Comodo AV perform better.
    Also you have access for free (until 5 pc's) to the Comodo Endpoint Security Manager.

You can disable the sandbox and D+ if you want, but if the pc's are for work, I mean nobody needs to install any new app all the pc's needs the same software you can configure D+ and the sandbox for 1 pc and export the config to all the other. The problem is if someday they need to install a new software, or updates for this software.

Anyway if you dont want complications Comodo AV and SafeOnline seems to be an excellent choice, and free.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there is no way I would ever use a Comodo product. If you want to go ahead, but Microsoft is a proven solid and dependable company and these are your Dads computers. Show him how savy and smart you are. Go with Comodo and he might just kick you out of the house.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.