My configuration, it is good?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by kajordo, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kajordo

kajordo Registered Member

Hi to all, I'm a newbie in this forum and definetly not an expert in security issues.
    Obviously I always surf (and surfed) with an antivirus, a firewall and an anti spyware program.
    I've decided to strenghten my security, so I am asking you what do you think of my current configuration:

Windows XP Pro SP1 (tried SP2 and don't want to use it, very unstable in my PC) constantly patched with Windows Update.
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0 & Thunderbird 1.0.
    Zone Alarm Pro 5.5 + Visual Zone.
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 5.0. (Automatically updated every 3 hours).
    eTrust Pest Patrol Anti Spyware 5.0. (Automatically updated when it wants to).
    Ewido Security Suite 3.0. (Automatically updated when it wants to).

The active protections of my security programs are all turned on at maximum setting all the time, and I am experiencing no slow down (I mean the system is slower then without them, but not noticeably) and no conflicts between the programs. (And I have an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 Mb of memory, not an Athlon 64 3400+ or Pentium 570 with 1 Gb of memory dual channeled).

I think tha I have achieved a good task in getting all working well, but... :doubt:
    I am really secure? I still get spyware, I noticed for example an Elite Toolbar for IE :eek: , even if I use Bill's browser only when Firefox doesn't work well in some sites (mainly microsoft related), and this occur veery rarely.

What I can do? Is my configuration good? I must use some other program in addition or in substitution? o_O

Thank you in advance! :)

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Use some of the tools in my sig, that will help close some of the holes in both IE and the rest of the system ;)

You might also consider Javacool's software (Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, etc.) (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com), SpyBot Search & Destroy with TeaTimer, or possibly Prevx.

3. kajordo

"You might also consider Javacool's software (Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, etc.) (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com), SpyBot Search & Destroy with TeaTimer, or possibly Prevx."

Thank you for the advice, somewhere in the past I've tryed SpyBot Search&Destroy and others, I was satisfied but they don't provide active protection, I understand I'll use one of them as a backup.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Actually SpyBot does offer active protection.. switch to advanced mode, go to tools, then "resident" and you can turn on TeaTimer.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Kajordo, welcome to Wilders, your setup is starting to get there. You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You've got some quality security progs there, yet you go and get the Elite toolbar - eeeek!

Clearly your configuration is not all it should be! Make yourself want SP2 and try and sort out stability problems. In I.E. you need to make ajustments with your 'Advanced' tab in Internet Options; disable 'Enable third party browser extensions', so you don't pick up toolbars again. (that is the very least you should do).

Throw on Process Guard and you probably won't need anything else for your line-up.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Kajordo, as your thread has nothing to do with other antivirus software I have moved it here where it should get a better response.

Cheers

Blackspear :D

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Heh, yeah add Process Guard and he is probably running close to Wilder's dream setup :)

Yeah Yeah I know the dream setup is NOD instead of KAV, Looknstop instead of Zone alarm, TDS instead of Ewido, but his choices are well looked upon too

Still it won't help if he doesn't have knowledge or common sense, as his picking up of Elitle toolbar shows :)

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

processguard should definately be in your setup, regarding to PestPatrol, the second best after giant however I even rate PestPatrol above Giant at the moment...:)

processguard would fit in perfectly

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hey Ronin, I'm not going to knock this guy's line-up; and the fact I also run KAV, Ewido and ZAP is not going to influence my decision!!!

11. kajordo

Thank you, I'm new here so I didn't know where to post :rolleyes:

As of my configuration, I think with the addition I've made with ProcessGuarda and Spybot Search & Destroy it could be defined as good (yes not excellent, but no more money on security, it's enough!!!).

And about the matter of Elite Toolbar I must I haven't downloaded or installed it,
    I think some sort of program instelled without my permission and invisibely...

But now my system is clean!!! :D

I think my ISP is very unsecure, because I tried (for testing) to be only connected without a firewall. No surfing, no IM, no email client connected, no
    P2P programs running, only connected without activity on the net. After 20 minutes the system hanged up!!!
    Looking at Visual Zone log I see that there is a massive (ok, too much) number of packet sent to me, of NetBios type (obviously disabled in Network settings after first OS boot) and of all other kind (ICMP, IGMP, TCP or UDP pinging). Mainly they are from IPs of my ISP (and not only the server to which
    I am connecting). I think many users make port scanning, or even worse I think that there are so many users that don't mind of security that they have
    Trojans, mail bombers, worms, in their computers that spread over the net.
    I personally know friend that surf WITHOUT firewall and ONLY an antivirus (Norton mainly). I try to convince them to do some work to protect them better, with my help, but all of them don't want to, and it's nearly impossible to convince them to do it.
    Bah! :doubt:

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Perhaps you should have them scan with another free scanner like the eScan antivirus toolkit or Ewido, I bet they'd be surprised at the results :)

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Are you kidding? You make more than sufficient protection in terms of software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.