My computers fan has been running a lot lately

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by noduser, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noduser

noduser Registered Member

My computer's fan has been running a lot lately

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DELL Inspiron 6000 laptop

Platform: Microsoft Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 248 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz (1596 MHz)
    Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910ML Express Chipset Family

EDIT: Just ran CC Cleaner for the first time and my HD shot up from 800 MB to 2.43 GB!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so my computer's fan has been running a lot lately and it definitely seems a lot slower than when I first got it.

I keep my computer in standby when I'm not using it and do occaisonal restarts. Earlier this week for the first time ever I got a blue screen of death with the following error code:

0X0000008E 0XC0000005 0X80535003 0XA90D3B8C 0X00000000

(The 3rd 0 in the 3rd figure, above, may have been a D; I can't read my handwriting)

The question is: are these things an indication that I'm putting too much wear-and-tear on my computer? Is it gonna die on me? o_O

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The fan could be collecting dust. This page shows some ways of clearing out dust.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Along with Fuser's notable ;) reply, she running the A07 or A08 BIOS?

Steve

4. noduser

GlobalForce:

I dunno; how do I find that out?

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

That you're system's up, runbox: msinfo32. Otherwise it should show on the bootscreen. Does you're decision to utilize standby stem from disk activity? XP Home or Pro? Is your monitor set to go off after x minute's of inactivity? What type of surface does it typically sit on? *Still consider Fuser's opening suggestion a priority. These question's supplemental info gathering only.

As for that bsod, did your system produce a small memory dump file you could upload as an attachment?

S

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    about the fan issue.
    the fans in this computer have been noisy recently.
    but its due to the heat because its summer!
    cleaning out the fans should help thou with a compressed air can.
    lodore

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It will die.

Sorry, you asked!

you could try to put it off by doing CHKDSK /f

Also, I think there is some way to "Fix" an install of windows by throwing the xp CD into the drive and rebooting and then follow the prompts to "repair current installation" or something like that (help me out, people who remember details!)

Another thing that has a chance is to use your hd utility disk and run a diagnostic.

Forth, and I put it last on purpose, since if the drive is corrupted defragmenting it will probably make things worse, you can try defragmenting.

Options 2 and 3 can definitely cause problems if not done right. If 4 breaks you, you were sunk already. That leaves #1.

My free advice is to run the CHKDSK command and then afterwards do #4.

it can't hurt, right?

-HandsOff

P.S. - Just kidding,it might not die!!

P.P.S. - I've seen this sort of thing when computers are running too many processes. You might try removing stuff from autostarting, ect..., and even uninstall stuff you don't use.

P.P.P.S. - I re-read your post. do you mean the amount of the drive that is available shot up from 0.8 to 2.43 GB. If so, that means you either have a very small hard drive, or it is way too full. If you were using a super good defragmenter you might get away with that. But you very probably need to start deleting stuff fast, and then consolidate the space. (what happened, did you get a digital camera, or something?)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You forgot to mention Disk Cleanup. Go to Programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup. There you'll get a dialog box which tells you all the temp files you can delete plus other stuff. If you've never done this it could amaze you how much crap you've accumulated. Maybe a few hundred MB. Click OK and wait for it to delete all the crap. This could increase your computers speed.:)

9. noduser

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm just gonna back all my stuff up before I do anymore serious work on my computer.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo HDD should be at least 20% empty.

11. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

On the surface that seems to make sense. Only you know what percentage of the drive is full, and if there is a lot of that could simply be deleted or if you have trimmed everything except stuff you need, and if the drive is very fragmented.

I would delete and uninstall as much as possible before backing up, but that's just me. The disk cleanup idea is not a bad one at all.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.