My computer is too crappy even for NOD

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by noduser, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noduser

noduser Registered Member

256 RAM

It slows my computer the heck down!

How can I minimize memory usage?

Edit: Lemme just add that I'm absolutely sure NOD is the culprit; when I disable it there's a phenomenal difference!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did this just occur? I see you've been using NOD for a year.

At any rate, if using XP, use at the very minimum, 512mb of ram.

What other security programs do you run, or have run?

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can save some ram by turning off the custom graphics.

as I've said before - nod32 gave an aging PIII 500Mhz laptop I keep for travel. It was unusable with it's previous setup - but it's now a solid little windows 2000 machine.

4. noduser

Very keen observation ;)

I FINALLY got fed up :D (seriously...I dealt with the lag and now I'm sick of it)

5. noduser

I was thinking I could disable one of the MONs...all you really need is the one that protects you from incoming viruses from the net....doesn't NOD constantly scan your entire system at a slow rate? It seems like THAT would be the thing to stop.

6. webyourbusiness

if you don't use outlook with an exchange server, you can definitely disable EMON - you COULD disable IMON and let AMON (file access monitor) keep you safe.

If your computer is slow - disk might be the bottleneck though... and I would NOT recommend disabling AMON.

7. noduser

Well what's the thing that catches stuff "on-the-fly" from maliscious websites :D

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

IMON. Depending on you PC, you may see a hit in speed with this module active.

By the way, aside from the RAM, is there any other pertinent information you're willing to share? OS/CPU/other active monitoring/trapping processes?

Blue

9. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I removed NAV 2003 from an AMD K6-500 computer w/256 MB RAM using Windows 98SE and installed NOD32 2.7x for Windows 98 along with ZA Free v6.1.744.001. It runs about the same speed with this setup as it did with using only NAV 2003 but the NOD32 (all protections enabled) and ZA Free combination is huge improvement in security. I also use Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D (immunize feature enabled) for some added anti-spyware protection. As it was previously mentioned my best guess would be that you need more than 256 MB RAM for a Windows 2K or XP machine using older hardware (i.e. less than a 1Ghz Pentium III). The other suggestions about turning off some of the NOD32 monitors could also help until you get more RAM for that machine. Even adding only 128 MB could make a big difference but adding at least 256 MB would be the way to go.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What OS are you running? Granted 256 megs is a bit light....IF we're assuming that you're running XP..but it's not specified what OS you're running..nor is it specified what your CPU is either.

11. webyourbusiness

silly question perhaps... but from your sig...

NOD32 2.7, ZASS 7.0 (KAV engine scan on demand), SpySweeper 5.3, AVG AS 7.5, MS Defender, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster.

not all on ONE machine right?

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Sounds like a bit too many security apps running real-time? :)

FWIW, I run NOD32 on a Celeron 433Mhz, W2K, w/96 MB of RAM. With startup apps minimized, (firewall and AV only) it runs fine, and really light. I'd check each app starting at boot to see if there is a conflict.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

First thing I noticed was you are running ZASS 7.0 which will double the response time of your computer. Then I see Spysweeper which is another hog. Couple that with the fact you're running on 256mb of RAM and you have your answer. First, the easiest and cheapest upgrade you can do on your pc is a RAM upgrade. Get it up to a GB if the pc can handle it. I think you can still walk your pc into Staples and they will install it for you for $30 plus the card.
    I have 1 GB of Ram on my pc, and when I uninstalled ZASS my pc perked right up, and I noticed the shutdown time went from an average of 28 seconds to 15 seconds. IMHO you should dump SS too. I have NOD32 and I can verify that after you do all that, you won't even notice NOD32 is there. NOD is the best.:)

14. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

256MB is a blessing when I get a system at work to repair. I commonly work with systems running 64 - 128MB sadly and NOD32 performs optimally, something else is going on I think. I'd place the blame on other programs starting up in the background myself. Start>Run>Msconfig and see what you have.

15. noduser

I appreciate your concern guys!

Copied right from the NOD32 Control Panel ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Operating system information
    Platform: Microsoft Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 248 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz (1596 MHz)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

and I should note that I have a maxed out 20 gig HD

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

noduser - Ah now you tell it all. LOL I think your due for a present to yourself, like a new pc with Vista Premium perhaps, a Pentium4 3.0 Ghz processer maybe, and maybe 80GB HD with 1GB RAM?:D

17. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Vista ==> 2 gigs for similar performance to XP ==> 512 megs.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yes I forgot about that.:p

19. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Regarding my signature and my system....actually yes I have them all running on one machine with Windows XP Pro using the same original installation I did in mid-2002 with of course all the latest XP SP2 and other updates applied.

It was originally a home built Athlon XP 1700+ CPU based system but I upgraded some of the components over the years. It is now an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (low voltage notebook CPU), full size MSI Mainboard with Via chipset and onboard IDE RAID controllers, w/ 1GB DDR RAM, Chaintech brand NVidia 6600 w/256MB VGA card, and two Maxtor 80GB HDs.

I currenly have ZASS v7 running with all the firewall features and anti-spyware enabled but with the KAV component and all the sub-components temporarily disabled. I just temporarily disable NOD32 monitors which takes a few seconds to do in order to run a KAV engine scan on demand. For real time AV I use the latest NOD32 2.7 with everything enabled including all the advanced detections. Spy Sweeper 5.3 is running enabled in real time with only the Memory Shield and Common Ad Sites shields disabled. MS Defender is fully enabled and running in real time. AVG Anti-Spyware v7.5 is only used for on demand scans and is not running in real time. Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster have their immunization blocking features enabled.

I have excluded the folders of many of the security programs from scanning each other in real time or during automatic scheduled scans. They all seem to work together and my machine now seems faster than when I only used NAV 2003 as part of NSW 2003 (with its NSW features turned off) with an older version of ZAP (ZoneAlarm Pro).

I am not really into games that much but gaming can be a good performance test for any machine. I run C.O.D. (Call of Duty) 2, All the Medal of Honor games, and many other graphic intensive games without shutting down any real time protections. I have the games set between Medium and Maximum with most of the effects (smoke, shadows, lighting, etc.) and I still have good frame rates with no real noticeable slowdown. I am not into online gaming so results might be different under those situations.

There were some things that did to free up resources in XP Pro and some of those were to shut down many of the services that run in the background and are enabled by default that I never use. There are probably five or six XP services that I turned off that made a huge difference in freeing up system resources but without effecting security or functionality. Disabling unused Windows services was a common thing to do in the early days after XP was released but with the recent hardware advances such as dual core CPUs, SATA HDs, etc. many computer enthusiasts haven't seemed to care about optimizing their Windows OS to free up resources unless they recently tried to upgrade to Vista using an older machine.

I also frequently run maintenance utility programs such as Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter, and McAfee QuickClean.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  20. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Your PC should be fine, I would examine your startup from my previous post.

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Exactly, over the years I have set up hundreds of machines with very similar spec's and never had an issue.

Cheers :D

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It is important to know what you mean by maxed out :doubt:

Windows and other programs have to have room to breath :blink:

23. noduser

24. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I have had drives slow to a crawl with double that amount of free space available. ;)

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Same seen here, too tight on free space is a death spiral.

A larger hard drive, bump the RAM to 512 and you have a new machine.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.