My computer freeze after login

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Also a special thanks to GlobalForce who has spent so much time and worked so hard to help me. I dont know the English words to describe how thankful I am. Unbelievable! And thanks Ronjor! Also the rest of you.

Oh posting suddenly became so easy and fast :) I post this from my desktop :D

Right now I'm so happy :D ...but at the same time so p.....off and angry with you know who. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm glad it was not BING, SSM or Cyberhawk. I trusted BING and my images (have not restored yet, but let you know). SSM I was more unsure at first, so I apologise to SSM-users and Syssafety.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much Ronjor :) What should I do without you great guys? :)

Should I install one or more of these hotfixes? Or do this?:

What do you and other suggest? Keep updates shut down, and visit Windowsupdate after updates are released, and download manually? If so, can I be sure that wuauclt.exe is shut down now that I have disabled the updates from control panel?

It did show up once after I shut it down from control panel.

I'll go to sleep, be back tomorrow. Doormattus please let us know if you have seen these last replies :)

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Knock it with the HIPS or with software restriction policies.
    I'm glad that you solved this problem :)

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Tepe,

Not to burst your bubble but you may momentarily be under the premise everything's hunky-dory. Consider if you plan on downloading any future updates the service will on occasion, need temporary activation. I suspect having it disabled atm has done nothing more than kept it from interacting with the other, obscured offender. Before proceeding further may I suggest you try with wuauclt.exe enabled .... one round of clean boot, and if necessary, one or more round's of advanced clean boot troubleshooting. If system stability remain's your goal, you will attempt these step's. This page should help address startup's, service's, and driver's.

Note: Under *summary* for clean booting "After you configure Windows XP to use a clean boot, some programs may not work as expected. When you return Windows XP to a Normal startup type, the programs work again." ... don't count on it. Be prepared to do some tinkering should this second part not hold true. Should you experience issue's relating to the admin's password, create 'as administrator' one for your account.

As for your question "Should I install one or more of these hotfixes?" That depend's. Look inside win\sys32.
    Find, rt clk, and return us the version info from within msiexec.exe's properties sheet (msi.dll method).

*I believe Lucas missed your mentioning XP Home as the OS. Go with the HIPS.

Support from any of us will remain one post away. ;)

Steve

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only problem with group policies is that its not supported on windows Xp home only XP pro.
    most home users with have XP home.
    lodore

7. Wit

Wit Registered Member

I'd just like to mention that I had a similar problem (XP freeze after about 1 minute) and I also have similar hardware (Gigabyte mobo, NV 6600 video) and similar symptoms (Windows Update doesn't work anymore). Your posts led me in the direction of switching Automatic Updates off, and that seems to have done the trick. Of course it means that I cannot update my XP (which is perfectly legal BTW) anymore, but at least I can now work again.

Thanks all who have contributed to this thread :) Now looking out for a more fundamental solution, but in the mean time: you guyz rock. Tx again :thumb:

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I missed that :)

9. GlobalForce

Hey, I miss lot's :D but knew what you meant ;) don't worry.

S

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

So far only happened to users with this hardware. We dont know if Oceang has this same hardware.

Agree :thumb: :) Without the help from these guys I think I may have thrown my computer out of the window. :D Not only is the problem solved, but I also learn from following all the links posted here.

GlobalForce - Thanks, a lot of good reading. I will study closer at a later time, but not right now. Must do some work with my computer, because I moved/copied a lot of files from "here to there to everywhere, and back again" in panic because of this problem. :) (Great to have 3 hdd's. Whatever happens my most important files should be safe).

I still have not found time to restore any image. Maybe tonight.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I have to tell Terabyte and Gigabyte what caused the problem, and that it is solved. (But if they read this thread as I asked them to, I guess they already know)

11. GlobalForce

So who has the 3.1 installer? No one's going to try that hotfix, reboot, and forward the possible good word?

PS - Sorry to have forgot welcoming you to the forum oceang, your post was HUGE! :cool:

PSS - Welcome to you also Wit!

S

12. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

How can I find if I have 3.1 installer? Maybe I can try this right now. I could always clean up my files later.

I just restored my freshest image and stopped updates from safe mode. It works :)

13. GlobalForce

Last link post 80 Tepe (msi.dll method). If your 3.1 GO FOR IT!
    I'd first install it, reboot, activate update's (set auto in services) then reboot again.

S

14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I dont have it. Should I have it? Should I download Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) ?

15. GlobalForce

What version does it say Tepe? Do you have an *area* screentool program (one for just the active window)?
    *I'll edit here in a few minute's should you not have something for my second question.

S

16. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

No msi.dll in system32-folder

SORRY I misunderstood. I found it. Be back soon.

17. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have version 3.1.4000.4039

18. GlobalForce

Well then, are you situated to try post 88?

S

19. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Yes. Just give me some time. I'll be back :)

20. GlobalForce

If you have it's identified as KB936301 under critical update's. If not, take your time. It's the weekend. ;)

S

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  21. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Hope this is what you asked GlobalForce. Here's what I did:

1. Download hotfix 927891 (Thank you Ronjor)
    2. Run it
    3. Reboot
    4. From control panel enable auto updates
    5. When I should reboot, I was asked to turn off to install updates. I did and 3 updates installed.
    6. Turn computer on
    7. Bring up task manager (wuauclt is running)

My system is up and running :)

Edit: I see now you mentioned 936301, not 927891.

22. GlobalForce

That doesn't matter if the patch has you up under a normal boot with the automatic updates service running. Your choice to have it enabled or not but just to hear your system's not crashing .... UNBELIEVABLE! Is this the case?

S

23. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Did another reboot. Auto updates still on. Wuauclt.exe running. Yes my computer is still up and running.

Should have known a week ago :D

Actually more than a week ago. (First post 19th june)

24. GlobalForce

Hallelujah! Ninety-six post's in the hole! Guess the other peep's will be in shock when they show! :D
    This thread receive a *solved* or, we leave Tepe to the mercy of M$ for another week? :D

Good job to everyone that took the time to get involved!

S

25. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

:D And Tepe2 no longer a regular poster :D (see end of post 59)

This thread receive a "solved" ! :thumb: :)

Yes. Thanks to all of you including yourself GlobalForce. A BIG BIG THANK YOU. And I hope Doormattus (and other with same problem) see the solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.