My Boot Setup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Estimated Prophet, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estimated Prophet

Estimated Prophet Registered Member

Well now I've gone and done it.

The the Boot setup was:
    1st Boot Device Floppy
    2nd Boot Device ARMD - FDD
    3rd Boot Device IDE - HDD
    4th Boot Device ATAPI - CDROM
    5th Boot Device Disabled

Now it is:
    1st Boot Device ATAPI - CDROM
    2nd Boot Device IDE - HDD
    3rd Boot Device Floppy
    4th Boot Device Disabled

First of all. Does this look right? Second. Could it be that the ARMD-FDD is my slave HD? I never did anything with the bIOS when I installed it. Everything seemed to work fine so I figured I was done. I didn't want to mess with partitions.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your bottom configuration would be fine with me but others would probably want the floppy above the HD. I am presently running without a floppy drive and am trying to see if I can survive. ARMD stands for ATAPI (or is it ATA) Removable Media Drive and I think is supposed to cover removable media like USB but I don't really know.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Estimated Prophet

That just fine for Booting from a Bootable CD.

I very much doubt it, what make is your MotherBoard.

If you HDD's are on a cable pluged into IDE1 [normal set up] your Master is HDD-0 and the slave will be HDD-1.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I thought FDD was the floppy drive controller. Is there anything else on that cable?

"ARMD-HDD
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    ARMD-HDD is one of the choices for booting in the Setup of many Windows computers. Its definition is actually: ATAPI Removable Media drive, which indicates that you can specify a USB-connected Hard Disk Drive [HDD] which is connected to your Windows (?) computer as a boot option. Consequently, if your Flexible Disk Drive [FDD] fails and you have the boot files on a USB Jump drive, the PC can be booted from it. Other alternatives for Booting or Emergency Repair Disks are to put the Boot Files on a CD-ROM and designate it as the second option. If a PC is backed up to an external USB Drive, which has been made active, ARMD-HDD may be a useful last option for booting."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  5. TheQuest

Hi, TheWeaz

FDD= Floppy Disk Drive

Take Care,

PS Estimated Prophet is your system a:- DELL

6. Estimated Prophet

Thanks guys. I now realize how little I know! As if there were any doubt. I'm still not real sure how I did it, but I got the CDROM on top, and I quit.:doubt:

Now I'm going to re-read chapter 5 in the manual for the third time. I new this would be tough for me, but what seems simple isn't.

Thanks so much for your help. Once I figure out the recovery process and chapter 6 "Plugging in an Image as a Virtual Drive," maybe I can get what I want out of this software. I'm just making sure my important files are backed up the traditional way, andf XP-Pro and Office-Pro are securely backed up in TI 9 (I have no manufactures disk), before I try to get into the Incremental and Differential backups. The seem pretty simple, but then I see a lot of threads on them.

I hope someone as ignorant doesn't drive you nuts while asking questions all along the way.:ouch:

7. Estimated Prophet

Thank you!!!!!

I figured dell in all their $$$grubbing would charge me. It was immediately bookmarked.

Is that boot sequence the default? That's pretty much the way it was. That won't work for Restoration. Right?

8. noonie

noonie Registered Member

You can leave your system this way if you want. The description could be better, it just means what drive bios looks to first, in order to boot.

1 floppy
    2 cd drive
    3 hrd drive0

Some people prefer to have the hard drive normally boot first to speed up the process, but if you don't have a boot floppy disk in the drive, nor a bootable cd or dvd in, then it will boot the hard drive anyway, just a few seconds slower. The advantage to this is that you won't ever have to change this order to use removeable boot media.

9. Estimated Prophet

Makes sense. I'll error on the side of caution.

10. TheQuest

Hi, Estimated Prophet

You are not ignorant.

The ignorant are those who do not ask questions, they just moan and moan [trivial complaint] that something is not working. :rolleyes:

Yes that is the default [on the link page] for most all BIOS's. [except most do not all have the ARMD-FDD or ARMD-HDD].

Correct the default [on the Dell Page] will keep booting from the HDD because it is above the CD-Rom as in boot order.

The way you have set the BIOS it in you first post >Now it is:< is the way you need it for a BootCD.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.