My 8.0.400.020 ZA upgrade is all goofed up

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by power_man, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. power_man

power_man Registered Member

So I was getting the upgrade notices on my XP SP3 desktop. Finally did the upgrade, went to install, and install aborted. Well now I don't have a real running ZAP running. No tray icon, no program list, no ad/remove entry. Nothing. Yet my XP firewall says it is running.

So i keep trying to fix the install, and keep getting the "Can't install with True Vector running" error. I have turned off True vector in services, in start up. When I check it it says it is not running. Ran my registry cleaners, yet I still can't get it to install.

I can't even run an uninstall at this point and start over. (Not that I want to) So what to doo_O?

I'm thinking of just nuking it and running with my router and NOD 32, but I still have 6 mos left on my subscription.

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Try asking in the ZA support forums. They might do a better job at giving you help with their specific product.

3. power_man

I've looked on their forum for stickies. Their site has very little FAQ instructions. Their forum seems to have very little traffic. I have always had good response here so that is what I did.

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Clean uninstaller for all ZA products exists. I used it on versions 5,6,7,8 even with ZA running.
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe

The following thread is quite comprehensive, make sure to read to the end
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=73645

Many other threads exist about installation and uninstallation, for instance this one refers to the Suite
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelab...=inst&message.id=85764&query.id=206208#M85764

And there's always the famous 27-step manual job.

Sorry to tell, but shutting off TrueVector service instead of the normal stopping of ZA is about the worst thing one can do, as it totally confuses things. I hope the above threads will clarify what to do now.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeahh... :thumb:
    The removal tool should do the job.
    If not, pass by the forum... :D

Fax

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you can do the clean uninstall and remove all traces, may I suggest you get something else?

7. power_man

I have been very happy with ZAP, but what would you suggest?

And yes... I did got to ZA forums, and they said I would have to completely uninstall using the tool and do it over. I'm bummed with that cause I have to go through the whole setup and pop ups for a month.

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

As in you think ZA is not a good product or you think he shouldnt risk another bad uninstall?

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

He seems to be having problems that I experienced with ZASS when I used it, some years ago, and I see it's still the same. I didn't realize he was happy with ZASS as he states in the above post though. I wasn't happy with the uninstall process, and the infamous True Vector, so after a few bad upgrades I moved on. I hope his uninstall/re-install works for him. :)

10. power_man

But I'm still curious what you would suggest.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on topic.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Btw, Uninstall process has been completely re-designed in this version.
    The removal tool has also been updated.

Make use of the backup feature in ZA retail versions. This way you will not loose any settings nor you will have to see any pop-up ;)
    Other firewalls? You can expect the usual suggestions: COMODO, OA, etc...
    Each have their own advantages and disadvantages... try them well before!

Fax

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.