Mustang's BartPE plugin: True Image License not found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lemon, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemon

lemon Registered Member

Hi mustang!

Unfortunately I didn't find any mail address to contact you so I'll try this forum.
    I run TI Workstation 9.1 with Universal Restore on XP Professional SP2 without any problems. All the licenses are installed correctly.
    But when I try to configure your plugin in BartPE I get the message "True Image license value not found". The UR license is found correctly.

Afterwards I looked into the TrueImageCW9.inf and found
    ; Copy the value from HKLM\Software\Acronis\TrueImage\"workstation" to the following line.

But the only key there is "ls_workstation" without any value!

Could it be that the license information is in some other place in the registry?

I've also tried to change that line in the TrueImageCW9.inf as following:
    0x1, "Acronis\Licenses","license","*m*y*k*e*y"
    But after creating the ISO with BartPE and booting up BartPE I still get the message that there was no license found and Acronis exits.

How will I get it work?

Greetings from Italy

Lemon

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

You must be using a license server. Look in the Windows registry under HKLM\Software\Acronis for License Server. When you find the key with the value that is a long string of numbers and spaces, duplicate it in the inf file. Remove the semicolon at the beginning of the line.

It would look something like:

0x1, "Acronis\LicenseServer","workstation","Copy and paste your value here"

Change LicenseServer and workstation in the above line to whatever you see in the registry.

3. lemon

lemon Registered Member

Hi mustang,

thank you for your quick reply.
    In fact I use the license server that came with my TI workstation 9.1.
    Unfortunately I cannot find any "long string of numbers and spaces" like there is one for UR.
    In the attachment you see what I've found in my registry.

Greetings from Italy

Lemon

Attached Files:

4. lemon

lemon Registered Member

Well, will there be another possibility to install TIW? As I know every TIW installation needs a server installation, doesn't it?
    And TIHome won't work with Universal Restore, or am I wrong?

Greetings from Italy

Lemon

5. mustang

mustang Developer

The License Server is not required. Most people do not use it.

If you like, you can duplicate the entire Licenses key in the inf file. This is very easy. Highlight the Licenses key and export it as Licenses.reg. As a quick test, import the Licenses.reg file into BartPE after you boot. If it all works the way you want, you can put that info into the inf file under the [Software.AddReg] section. Download a Utility called ConvRegToInf from http://www.paraglidernc.com. Use it to convert the the Licesnses.reg file. Open the resulting Licenses.inf file and copy just the lines under the [Software.AddReg] section. When you boot BartPE, you should see a Licenses key that is the same as in your Windows registry.

It may be good enough to just include the one line:

HKLM\Software\Acronis\Licenses\06CEC---------

as:

0x1, "Acronis\Licenses\06CEC---------", "License", "BGGM-----------------"

6. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Well I have the same problem.

How do I install TI w/o the license server?

7. mustang

mustang Developer

I'm sorry, I've never seen the License Server. Are you forced to use it because of purchasing multiple licenses at a discount? I don't know how Acronis handles volume sales.

I have a hard time believing that TI will not run under BartPE if you duplicate the registry info shown in Post #5. Have you done that?

8. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Nope, it was a single license.

If I dont install it, TI will simply refuse to start as it complains that it cant find any license. I am using the build 9.1.0.3887 which seem to be the latest version.

The problem is that TI will search the network for a license manager first. If it doesnt find any it will not run. But that is not the main problem here (I finally got the network with BartPE running), which is that it displays that it use TI with UR, but I never get any screen asking for for any additional drivers which it would need for UR.

I thought the UR would always be displayed? Even on my laptop it simply does not appear, not even if I restore an image from within Windows :-(

9. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

I just checked the manual, it is weird but it does not mention the license server! It talks about a TI "local"-version, but not license server is mentioned. Pretty much clueless now :-(

10. mustang

mustang Developer

Where did the License Server come from in the first place? Was it already installed from a previous version of TI Corporate Workstation before you installed TI Workstation 9.1 build 3,887?

Did you get a product key when you bought build 3,887? I think I would uninstall TI then uninstall the License Server. Then reinstall TI using the product key. That should give you the serial number info in the registry the plugin is looking for. You may want to take a backup of the system before trying this procedure in case it all goes wrong.

As far as UR is concerned, there is a serious bug in the program. Many people have reported the UR screen does not show up during a restore. As you can see, the problem is not related to the plugin. The same thing happens under Windows.

11. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Sorry for being unclear. If I installe just TI WS and then execute it, I will get a message that no license server is found, and that I can either supply the address of one or search again. At that point it was clear for me that a license server is mandatory, which I installed afterwards.

License key was included. Uninstallation of the license server is somehow not possible. It aborts with an uninstallation error :-(

I am not asked for a s/n when installing TI itself as mentioned above :-(

Now, that sucks! Any official word from the manufacturer? If it doesnt work, obviously I want my money back!

Thanks for your help Mustang!

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.
    In this case please submit an official support request via this web form. Provide the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and and definitely will provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

13. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Okay, thank you I will contact you.

There is some confusion about the license server. Is the use of it mandatory? How comes that some users (obviously power users such as mustang) do not know about it? Do only german users have to use the license server?

14. mustang

mustang Developer

That's a very good question. Thanks for asking. I'm very interested in the answer.

15. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Any official answer on this?

16. Toller

Toller Registered Member

The official answer is that it is impossible to run a Workstation version without a licence server. That's why I asked in other thread what are advantages of using the Workstation version instead of the Home version. It seems that absolutely no advantages, only problems and $30 price tag. I was too stupid to purchase workstation versions.

Best regards, Toller.

17. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

My TI Workstation 9.1 with UR does not require a license server. I am in the US and I think location has something to do with it. Toller there are many advantages to TIW over TI Home (ie. Universal Restore, remote backup, maintenance (for upgrades), centralized management, WinPE builder......)

18. Toller

Toller Registered Member

I don't know whether a license server is a new feature or EU (my residence) discrimination:) In any case I don't like this licence model.

While the Universal Restore (you should pay for this plug-in if I am not mistaken additional $30) can be useful in some scenario's, the rest of features, which are mentioned by FBMachines are not very usefull IMHO in real life because a TIW should be installed on the remote machine. TI Home can be also installed remotely through ,for example Remote Desktop, on a remote machine. Furthermore, for managing quota's in a TIW you can use only a Backup server, which at least has limited functionality in comparison with a Home version and most likely is broken (search this forum).

Regards, Toller

19. niko26

niko26 Registered Member

Okay, so it looks like we bloddy europeans are not worth it - only european customers MUST use a license server. American customers do not have to deal with the hassle, that was what the German support told me.

That really really sucks. There is no reason why we must use a license server and the others don't. So after buying a license - we do have to go through this hassle? And those people who prefer to use an illegal cracked copy don't have to go trough this hassle?

Sorry, Acronis, you just lost a paying customer.

20. mustang

mustang Developer

I tried to deal with this issue today. I downloaded the German trial version of True Image Echo Workstation. It includes the License Server. They supplied a serial number for the trial. First, I installed the License Server on a Windows XP Pro SP2 English computer. (I don't have a localized German Windows XP computer to test on.) The license server did install. The problem is that True Image Echo Workstation will not install. It can not get past the screen looking for the License Server during the install. I noticed that the License Server installed a service called AcronisAgent. The AcronisAgent service can't be started. It gives an error that the service is not responding to the control function. Without that service, the License Server does not work. Maybe the service won't run because it needs to be on a localized German version of Windows. I don't know what else to try.

Does anyone have one of my plugins modified to work with a version of TI that uses a License Server? If so, can you provide info on how you modified the plugin to work? If I get the info, I'll put it into the plugins for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.