must unistall current AV b4 installing NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CLNSME, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLNSME

CLNSME Registered Member

I just downloaded the trial version of NOD32. During installation (I cancelled did not complete install) i was instructed to uninstall any current Anti Virus program or bad things could happen. I'm currently running Norton Anti Virus with auto protect enabled; is it absolutely necessary to uinstall this?
    Isn't there some way to just stop Norton from loading without uninstalling it.

If i did proceed with the NOD32 install what the worst that could happen?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi CLNSME, welcome to Wilders.

Yes.

I have seen Windows lockup solid and it would not reboot into Windows, eventually we did manage to get back into "Safe Mode".

Cheers :D

3. divedog

divedog Registered Member

You shouldn’t run 2 AV programs at the same time. Some people prefer to run 2 antivirus programs, one resident and one non-resident. You may be able to disable all of Norton’s components via the startup menu click start, run, type msconfig, click on the startup tab, uncheck all of the entry’s related to Norton and reboot. Then try to install NOD and see if you get the same splash screen. Why don’t you try the trial version of FDISR? It would allow you to try each of these programs in a different snapshot, provided you have enough space on you’re hard drive for 2 snapshots. I will warn you though, if you try FDISR you will want to buy it. Here is a link to FDISR.
    http://www.raxco.com/products/fdisr/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Safe Mode always helps me in locked Windows because of software overload :)
    Norton is little crappy which you don't need at all because NOD32 is much better Enjoy ! :D

5. Blackspear

In this case it took half a dozen attempts just to get into Safe Mode, was starting to think the user had hosed their Windows :blink:

Cheers :D

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Really strange o_O

:D Sunny day :cool:

7. zashita

zashita Registered Member

btw, to start Windows (XP) in safe mode, you have this solution too :

start -> run -> msconfig
    Then in the 'General' tab, choose 'start in safe mode'

Don't forget to turn it back after :D

8. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Besides using the common uninstall using Windows Add/Remove Programs to remove NAV you might also have to download and run Symantec's NAV removal program. You will need the NAV removal program for your exact year's version of NAV. You can search for it on the Symantec support site and complete instructions are explained there. I recently had to do this on my machine that was running NAV 2003 that was part of SystemWorks 2003 suite. I doubt that you could run a stable system with NAV installed but not running. If you can then that is news to me. NAV buries itself into Windows like a weed and doesn't let go.

9. Blackspear

ROFLMAO, damn, spilt coffee :blink: :cool: :D

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just run one AV with on-access only. I installed BitDefender 9.5 Standard first, then disabled the on-access shield and automatic update. Then install NOD32. NOD32 did not detect BitDefender and installation went as smooth as silk. NOD32 was running with all modules resident.

11. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I did that once on a me box and couldn't get it out of safe mode. Now I only use f8.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

NAV is a different animal. I wouldn't trust trying to run NAV w/ any other AV.

CLNSME, take a tip from SoCalReviews "weed" comment. Truer words were never spoken. Use the Symantec un-install utility. You still may have to do a registry search to weed out (NPI) all traces of NAV, but it's well worth it once you start running NOD. Once it's set up, it's light, lightning fast & accurate. If you don't want to be bothered w/ it at all, turn on "silent mode".

my $.02

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.