Must be Doing Something Wrong

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Willie, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie Registered Member

I am new to Acronis True Image having just purchased a copy this week. I am trying to image my laptop’s 60G hard disk and put it on a new 100G disk.

I am using a Dell Latitude 810D, with 2G of memory, 1 CD/DVD read/write drive and a basic 60G hard drive. I want to use the 100G drive because I have almost run out of room on the 60G.

I ran the program and used the backup function to create an image of my 60G drive. I am using a Iomega Rev drive to as the media for this image. The image creation operation took about an hour to run and it crated 10 .tlb files on the Rev Drive media. I ran the verify image function and according to the messages, it successfully verified the image.

When I restored this image to the new 100G drive using the Restore Data Wizard, the action took almost 5 hours, which seems like a long time to me, but like I said earlier I am new to this.

When I got a successful completion message and I tried to boot this new image I get the flowing message.

“Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.”

Anyone, what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help and enlightenment.

2. dld

dld Registered Member

If you google "hal.dll corrupt or missing" you will get lots of hits. This is the first I got:

http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

The fact that you got 10 .tib files probably means that your 100GB drive is formatted in FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limit. This drive should have been formatted in NTFS. This you should do once you got things sorted out. If you're using WinXP you can format this drive by right-clicking My Computer\Manage\Storage\Disk Management.

Since what you were trying to do was to migrate your OS to a new drive, you really should have used the clone feature of ATI, choosing to expand partitions to fill the new drive. You're probably going to end up with unallocated space doing it the way you did.

As a final bit of advice, Acronis True Image is a wonderful tool, but it can do a heck of a lot of damage when used without knowing exactly what one is doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.