Multiple Zero Byte Files

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by oma53, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    I get multiple temp file in my C:\Windows\Temp that is not normal for this system.
    They are all zero byte files and appear to have random names as below.

f5d61231-0cc4-44cc-9c95-73c930761387.tmp

I have run all of my security and everything comes up clean. In addition to my normal security I have ran the Panda online scan and the Avira Rescue CD to see if anything shows up. They were clean also.
    I have not installed any new software. When I Google the names, since they are so random, nothing comes up.
    Anyone have any ideas as to what this may be please?
    Thank You.

2. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Sorry if I am responding back too soon, but this is driving me crazy.
    After many hours of searching the internet and coming up with nothing, I decided to check my friends systems. (bad mistake) Three show this same behavior, but two did not show this at all.
    To me it appears to be normal behavior since I do not get these temp files until I open up a browser. Again, it is the increase in the number of temp files that has me wondering.
    I am not concerned with security at this point, it is just troubling me as to what may be causing this.
    Anyone else see this when they open a browser connected to the internet?

Thank you.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

oma53, do you run Windows Defender? The sequence of your numbers is very similar to what I see (different random numbers, of course) with my WD.

Since I wipe all temp files automatically upon a browser's closing, the only indication is when CCleaner removes any WD leftovers, however, I see these in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results\Resource, not in C:\WINDOWS\Temp like you. BTW, Application Data is typically a hidden folder.

4. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Thank you JRViejo for your reply.
    Yes, I do run Windows Defender but with real time protection turned off.
    To see if this may be the program, I un-installed WD, booted the system and the files are still there. (reappearing and disappearing)
    I am running AVG and sometimes it will leave a folder\file with a similar sequence in the name. I will try to contact AVG regarding this issue.

Thanks again.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

oma53, I also run AVG (Free version 8.5.339) but I do not have the temp files issues you're having.

I did find only one similar sequence .tmp file (dated 01/30/09) at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\temp, yet it ends with -4bc-oopp.tmp, in addition to the sequence. I don't allow AVG to auto update and/or scan at start-up plus no schedule scans. Perhaps you want to disable these to see if the issue continues.

Do post back if it is an AVG problem. I'm curious.

6. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Thanks JRViejo for your input and suggestions.

Out of desperation, I un-installed AVG, booted the system, brought up my windows\temp folder, connected to the internet and Windows Update (I figured this was the safest without my AV) and no temp files appeared.
    I then quickely un-plugged the router.
    After installing AVG and updating it I re-booted the system with the router un-plugged, brought up my windows\temp folder, connected to the internet and Windows Update and the temp files appeared like before.
    I have the paid version of AVG Anti-Virus. I also have Linkscanner and Webshield activated.
    I have found some people with AVG that do have the files and others with AVG that don’t have the files. I did not check who had the free version or the paid.
    I hope I can get a firm answer from AVG, but for now I believe that this is what is producing the temp files.

(JRViejo, I also run my AVG as you have stated with some minor modifications to the default settings. I tried the default settings after install with the same results)

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

oma53, could be that these 2 components are creating those temp files. :doubt:

I don't have either the LinkScanner nor the Search-Shield (no Web Shield on the Free version) activated, so maybe that's why I don't see the same files as you.

8. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

JRViejo,

The Linkscanner and Webshield are what is causing this issue.
    My mistake was to try each one separately. When I do this, the temp files still show up.
    When both are turned off, I do not have any temp files.
    I assume at this point that one of the updates changes how these features work, hence the increased number of files showing up.

Thank you for pointing this out. When I saw your suggestion, I realized that I should have tried disabling both together.
    I feel a little stupid for not trying both together.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

oma53, you're welcome! And there's nothing to feel embarrassed about. Glad to read that you found the cause.

In the latest Program update AVG 8.5.374, the LinkScanner was worked on; perhaps this is what's causing the higher number of temp files.

For a final exercise, I would turn on both components and do some searches, verifying that the temp files are there. Close the browser and go to Tools >Advanced settings > Update > Manage and click the Delete temporary update files button to see if the temp files go away. I know that the button says Update yet AVG is a Czech program and sometimes things are lost in the translation. Worth a try IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.