Multiple XP Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Fippy, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fippy

Fippy Registered Member

Hello all,
    I have DDS 10.0 and I'm having some difficulty setting up 4 XP partitions on one hard drive. (We will be using the machine for configuration testing :) )

Here's what I did:
    1. Formatted entire drive (new machine)
    2. Installed XP as primary partition on C:
    3. Installed DDS 10.0
    4. Resized C: partition smaller
    5. Made 3 other small partitions and let DDS 10.0 do its reboot and configuration thing. This created logical partitions: E: F: G:
    6. Went into the OS Selector and selected the original/master XP partition. Did "Copy"

Now here's where I am stuck. Where did it copy it to? It never asked me. I think it went to E: because if I go to E: and select properies it has an XP o.s. on it, but all the files seem to point to C:
    OS Selector says this new partition is D: whereas DDS 10.0 says it is E: ( o_O )

I can boot into the Master ( C: ) and E: seperately. The desktops seem to be unique, but I'm not convinced they are 2 distinct copies of XP. There is no "My Documents" for E:, instead there is a folder suggesting that it is looking at the "My Documents" on C:
    Also, if I install an app after booting into the Master ( C: ) it installs on C:. If I boot into E: and install it, it still installs to C:

What did I do wrong, and how do I get multiple and DISTINCT copies of XP?

Thanks!
    Fippy.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fippy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Acronis OS Selector does not copy an entire partition. It creates a copy of operating system only. This copy includes the system files and folders (Program files, Documents and Settings, Windows folders, etc.) and is stored in the special Bootwiz folder. When you choose what copy of the system to boot Acronis OS Selector replaces the existing system files & folders on the original partition with the files & folders of the copy. This means that when you boot the copy then the system still resides on the same partition but all its particularities relate only to this copy of operating system. You can also find more information regarding this in the respective Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

Please also take a look at this previous post of mine describing how to perform a multiboot system. You are able to perform all the steps on the same hard drive as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Fippy

Fippy Registered Member

Thanks. I understand now.
    I successfully set up the machine by properly installing from an o.s. CD on each partition in turn. It worked great.

I have another issue with a seperate machine though.. see my post in this thread about it. :)

Thanks for your help,
    Graeme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.