Multiple Virus Scan Combos

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RadicalEdward, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

Forgive me if this should be somewere else or if it even belongs in this forum,

I have a question about running different virus scan engines simultaneously.

I know that if you run more than one engine with a real time scanner, they will bump into eachother and crash your computer, what I don't know is which ones can run together without doing that. After searching the net I found out that bit defender can be installed as freeware without a realtime scanner. Currently I am running an Mcafee Enterprise edition 7.0 (distributed through my company) and recent installed bit defender, but I still would like to add at least a few more engines to help out. Does anyone know of any more virus engines I can install that don't have real time scanners?

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

F-Prot has a free DOS based scanner.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yep,avast! Home Edition. Providers can be configured,so you don't run any of them,just mail monitor or Instant Messaging or even none. Remove the startup section entry and it will work as on-demand program only. You can even use it via Explorer Extension (similar to BitDefenders function).
    Basically you can turn most of free full AVs into on-demand only. Just disable On-Access part and remove it from startup section. For some of them you have to play with services,but usually nothing complicated.

4. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

Hey thanks a lot guys, I actually had made a mistake before in loading avast without paying attention to the real time scanner, and boy did I learn my lesson....I didn't know if it could be configured or not, so I'll play around with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.