multiple tabs disappear

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BobLewiston, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Registered Member

Recently my browser started to repeatedly lose the ability to support multiple tabs. In Internet Explorer 8, I click on the drop-down menu arrow on the right side of the Command Bar's Home button, select Add or Change Home Page from that drop-down menu, and then select "Use the current tab set as your home page" in the Add or Change Home Page dialog box. Then I launch another instance of the browser and close the original one. Then I've got multiple tabs. Sometimes they'll still be there the next time I boot up, but after a couple times, they're gone again. I have an installation of Windows that’s only a few weeks old (so I doubt any files are corrupted), and all my antivirus and antimalware software tells me I’m as clean as a whistle. How do I fix this?

BTW, here is what's selected in IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Tabs | Settings:

Enable Tabbed Browsing
    Warn me when closing multiple tabs
    Enable Quick Tabs
    Enable Tab Groups
    Always open pop-ups in a new window
    A new tab in the current window

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi there

I'd reset IE and see if the problem persists - maybe it was somehow foxed by a setting you applied.

(Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset)

HTH

philby

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have a similar problem on my company-provided computer, but not on my home computer. From time to time, my tabset that I have saved as my home page setting is gone, and all that is left is the company intranet homepage.

I believe that happens because our company IT periodically pushes out certain configurations automatically to all computers, e.g., software updates. So I assume they are clobbering my homepage.

What I've done is to copy/paste my homepage settings from =>tools/internet options into a text file, and then I can recopy them back into the homepage box in tools/internet options. Not a perfect solution, but I can live with it. I've always meant to ask IT about this, but never got around to it.

P.S. I have IE7 on office computer and IE8 at home

4. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Registered Member

I don't think that's the problem, based on my Tab settings that I cited above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.