Multiple backup files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Remington, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remington

Remington Registered Member

I just started using True Image Home 2009. I'm backing up files, differential backups, through a home network to a USB external drive. When I backup a large folder (about 8 gb), it automatically creates two backups. The second backup is created a few minutes after the first, and is smaller in size. Yet, when I open the subfolders/files of both backups, each seems to have the full set of subfolders and files. What gives? Any ideas?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That USB drive is formatted as Fat32 which has a 4Gb file size limit. Fortunately True Image knows to split the backup files. It will also know what to do during a restore of those files. If you want one file you will have to format the USB drive as NTFS.

3. Remington

Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.

4. Remington

I just checked the USB drive and it is already formatted as NTFS. Any other suggestions?

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Your first post said "..through a home network to a USB external drive...". How is the USB drive attached to the network? This may be a limitation of the network. Some Network Attached Storage (NAS) techniques have maximum file size limitations.

6. Remington

I have the USB drive attached to a PC which is hooked to a switch from my router. All is hardwired, if that makes a difference. Does that answer your query?

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes. So the drive is formatted as NTFS and attached to a Windows PC and shared on the network, then there should not be a problem saving large files (>4 GB).

TI has an option to split the backup into smaller pieces. By any chance was that option checked when the backup was made?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Remington,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

Please check Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Archive Splitting -> Make sure that it is set to automatic.

If the issue persists send us Acronis True Image log file (attach it to your next reply) so we can check backup archive creation. Also please validate backup archive by means of program's validation tool and let us know the results.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.