Multiple AV.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shitu, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Greetings. Got a question here. I want to know, can I install multiple anti virus?
    I have ESET Smart Security for now and I want to install another anti virus without firewall. I think, I'm going to install Kaspersky. So now, can I install another one or not? If answer is no because of system resources, do not say that. I don't have any problem with that, even if my Windows gets crashs. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate edition. I heard if I install another one, none of them works perfectly. So now, it is true?
    Thanks for answering.
    Cheers,
    Shitu.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

You can certainly try and install but 2 AV working at the same time is not something that they were designed to do nor tested for. There is no need, except maybe curiosity, to install and run 2 AV concurrently and doing so certainly introduces some kind of system strain that would not ordinarily be there. Not recommended

3. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Thanks for replying.
    I have 4GB DDR 2 RAM with a Core 2 Quad processor, so my system resources is just fine. I had multiple AV about 10 months ago and I didn't had any crash and also I didn't seen any different after installing another anti virus.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what multiple AV were you running?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Concurrent use of 2 or more resident antivirus programs may result in serious system problems or they may cancel out each other.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Best left to dedicated apps and multi engine av such as metascan and gdata.

Problems are gonna occur when both are dealing with the infection, example one av trying to quarantine while the other has it locked.

7. shitu

shitu Registered Member

That is what I just thought about that and that is why I didn't install other anti virus. Thank you and thanks to other people for replys.
    Cheers,
    Shitu.

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree with the comments that you should not run more than one AV in real-time, with one exception: Prevx.

Prevx is cloud-based and uses a different security model to a conventional AV. It is extremely light and has been deliberately designed to be able to run alongside existing security products in order to enhance the overall level of protection, without causing performance or stability issues.

There is a free version of Prevx that will detect everything the paid version does but - with the exception of adware and MBR rootkits - will not block what it finds; for blocking you need the paid version. The free version is good for a second opinion though because you know immediately in real-time if Prevx detects something missed by your AV (not criticising NOD32 though. NOD32 is a fine AV but none are perfect; they all miss things occasionally). The free version of Prevx can be combined with MBAM and SAS for remediation if Prevx detects something.

I have the paid version of Prevx (no different from the free version except for the additional malware blocking) and I have used it alongside both NOD32 and AntiVir at different times without issue. If you want to run another real-time security product to complement ESS/NOD32, Prevx is worth considering.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Thank you, just downloaded it. Now I want to know if I install Kaspersky without real-time file system protection, it is not safe also? I mean I'm going to disable it after installing.

10. shitu

shitu Registered Member

Well, I think no one likes/wants to answer me. I'm going to install Kaspersky now and also I'm going to disable real-time protection.
    Thanks anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.