Multiple AV w/ KAV 5.0.153

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rommel, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rommel

Rommel Registered Member

Hi all,

I am new to these forums and already have found a lot of helpful information regarding AV software. I recently switched to KAV and really like it. I've also read a lot about dual AV software on the same machine for added protection. What would be a good/great complimentary AV software to run along side of KAV? Thanks for the info.

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I also have kav as my main av, but not kav 5, I have kav 4.5 as I am waiting for some of the issues to be fixed in kav 5 first.
    I use nod 32v2 as my back up av and have found It to work along side kav without any problems at all.
    I personally think both these av programmes are a great choice to work together.
    You can download a trial version here.

http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm

THE MUL

3. Sisko

Sisko Registered Member

I am running KAV 5.0 as my principal AV and have NOD32, Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i, Command Antivirus and Extendia AVK Pro on the same machine.

KAV is running as my on access scanner and the others are only there for on demand scans.

Based on my personal experience:

NOD32 is a good anti-virus but not for on demand scans. It's speed is better suited has on access scan and the new HTTP download scanner is great. NOD32 do not scan inside self extracting archives.

KAV is slower but offer a better protection against trojans and nasty adware
    I you load application from news groups or on p2p network then KAV will offer you more protection than NOD32.

Virusscan 8.0i (just released) is my first choice has a backup antivirus but only in its Enterprise edition. The “public” version comes with a Security Center that just eats memory and lack some features of the Enterprise edition.

Command Antivirus is not expensive and uses the F-Prot Engine but each updates (even signature) are done using an installer.

Extendia AVK Pro use KAV engine (version 4.5) and RAV engine. The RAV engine is great but may trigger some false positive. Extendia AVK (non pro) use the RAV engine only and cost only $9.95.

4. Rommel

Rommel Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've decided to run KAV as my primary and as my on-access scanner and McAfee VirusScan 8.0i Enterprise as my backup. Two days with it like this so far and everything is working great.

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Sisko,

I bought and paid the $9.95 for the Extendia AVK non pro. According to Extendia's website, it looks like one will be buying the RAV engine with the non pro version. The single engine non pro version has a KAV engine.

6. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

Uh, Sisko, 5 AVs on a single machine? What exactly are you afraid of?

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I don't think he is afraid of anything. but may be for fun only? People have different hobby, like people who loves cars.... they will have a few car to play around.

8. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

Hi Iwod, it was more of a rhetorical question, and in jest really. I recognise that it may be a hobby, but unless you are a security professional, 5 AVs seem like overkill, no?

Sisko, no offence meant by the question......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.