Multible boot option configurations.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RAD, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I am using VISTA Home Premium.

I would like to boot up to different system configurations, such as when I know I am going to do exclusively CAD work, or when I am going to do audio processing. So I don't really want to boot into different operating systems, I just want a quick way to reboot into a different configuration of the same OP system, with some services and startup programs enabled or disabled, without having to go through all the manual settings each time.

Any clues ?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use rollback rx to accomplish that task. Once you've got your basic system setup you install it and it locks that basic system configuration. You can then make changes and then take a snapshot which saves those changes. You can literally have hundreds of different snapshots with different configurations in each and you can easily boot back and forth between them. All the while your base system remains unchanged so you can revert back to it anytime you want. There are a number of different software which all use the same software code, rollback rx is one, some others are ayrecovery, eaz-fix and radix reload.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I don't know about vista, but in xp it is a simple batch file using net start <service> or net stop <service>. You could also make a simple autoit script to kill processes by names or pid's.

The idea is to just have a few batch files and/or scripts to shut down services/processes, and then restart them or others when you are ready to switch. No reboot required.

Sul.

4. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Good ideas ! Thanks.

I had to chuckle at ayrecovery customer support times: "Monday Through Friday; 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Beijing Time" :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

One possible disadvantage with ayrecovery is that it uses an older version of the software compared to the others. AY is using version 7 where as the others are using version 8. Theres not a huge difference between versions, the main one is version 8 has a built in disk imaging option where as version 7 does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.