Multi-File-Format Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pepegot1, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepegot1

pepegot1 Registered Member

I have a new Dell computer and made a backup of its single C: Drive. It included two partitions-NTFS and FAT32. The backup made two tib files. One for the NTFS and one for the FAT32 What is a restore method for this configuration. NTFS first and then Fat32, or just NTFS and dump the FAT32? When a crisis happens, that is not the time to be in a guess what to do situation.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  2. dld

dld Registered Member

The FAT32 partition is a recovery partition which will bring back your computer to the 'out of the box' condition. You can read more about this partition here. Ticking the box next to Disk 1 will restore all partitions. If you have ATI 9.0.3677 you can choose to restore a particular partition only. This feature was introduced in an earlier update to ATI9, build 3567 if I'm not mistaken.

3. pepegot1

I guess I was not clear. The backup was of Drive 1 completely, but the result was not one backup file, but two. One for the NTFS and the other for FAT32. What does one do here? I know the FAT32 is Dell's backup to original conditions, but how do you handle the two backup files is my question, so as to restore the system to its latest condition?
    Or, could reclaim the FAT32 space and convert it to NTFS with Partition Magic, then make my backup?

4. dld

dld Registered Member

What version of ATI are you using? If you ticked the box next to Disk 1 then TI should have created a single .tib file which would have included your two partitions plus Track 0 & MBR. What puzzles me is that creating images of your two partitions separately would have meant you first ticked the box next to one partition and subsequently added the second partition before clicking on PROCEED!

I just did a quick search and found this post which addresses the subject of what to restore on a Dell computer.

You can also read this thread and this thread. As you can see the topic can be quite complex if you want to safeguard your Dell restore partition.

5. pepegot1

We will give it another try. I think the problem could be that these are two different OS's. Thank you.

6. pepegot1

Please!!! Can I get an answer to the above post?

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You still haven't told us what Version and build number of TI you are running? How can you expect an answer when you don't give all the info needed to help you. Several suggestions have been made. Have you reviewed them? What was the results of your review?

8. pepegot1

The build is 3633. The file names are mybackup1.tib and mybackup2.tib. Does this mean that after restoring mybackup1, the program will install mybackup2, which is the main partition(mybackup1 is the Dell backup FAT32?) Remember C: is NTFS and D: is FAT32. I would think this is what would happen as the whole Drive 1 was backup into the above two files, at least I hope so. I would hate to find out the hard way.

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you backed up the entire DISK by selecting the DISK 1 check box then when you restore you would also select the DISK1 check box. The image I've attached does not show multiple partitions but when you select the DISK 1 check box all partitions are also selected and will be restored. Try it and you will see what I mean. I would also recommend you update to B3677 or B3854(the latest). B3854 still has some bugs so I personally am staying with B3677.

Attached Files:

10. pepegot1

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought it would be something simple as, that which you explained in your reply. The two files, instead of one, gave me pause, but now I see that selecting drive1 does it all.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pepegot1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that according to the backup file names (mybackup1.tib and mybackup2.tib) I can conclude that the image archive was splitted into two files. The reason for this could be that you either manually specify archive splitting option (Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Archive splitting) or it was done automaticaly because of the file system limitations (for example, FAT16 and FAT32 file systems have a 4GB file size limit).

If the selected location has enough space and its disk file system allows the estimated file size, the program will create a single archive file.

Please also note that if the backup archive was splitted into several files you can select any of its parts to restore it or to create differential/incremental based on it. Acronis True Image automatically recognizes all parts of multi volume backup archive.

You can more information in chapter 5.3.6 "Archive splitting" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

Also as thomasjk advised, please download and install latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.