Multi Engine On-Demand Scanner?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pootel, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pootel

pootel Registered Member

Hi!
    I would like to know that is there any Offline multi engine On-Demand Scanner similar to VirusTotal.com?
    Since VirusTotal and other Web-based multi engine scanners has a limitation on file size, I would like to know is there a On-Demand (Not Real-time antivirus such as : GData, TrustPort, etc.) scanning program similar to VT?
    Thanks for any recommendations!:)

2. estra

estra Registered Member

Most likely, I think, you would have to make a personal DIY solution for what you are seeking to achieve, as there are probably no complete solutions for that.

Something simple, that I can think of, is to use command line scanners in a batch/script file and to make them output results to text files.

With Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) (v2 only; there is no individual file scan from command line in v1), for example, it would look like this:

MpCmdRun.exe -scan -scantype 3 -file c:\Downloads\Software\somefile.exe > c:\results\mse.log

Then the script would merge log files with output results from all the other antivirus tools and present you with a final picture.

Of course if you are going to install tens for antivirus tools on your machine, it would be advisable to turn their real-time scanners off, except let's say for one tool.

3. pootel

pootel Registered Member

Thanks for your reply!
    Command line scanners seems to be a good idea.
    However, these scanners are mostly out of date, they don't include the latest engines used in their antivirus products.
    But it is still a nice solution. Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Wuzzup can scan a folder. Wuzzup doesn't scan archives, and currently doesn't scan files with non-standard extensions, although that's planned for a future release. Right-click scanning is planned for a future Wuzzup release also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.