Multi-DVD image restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by techwanabe, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techwanabe

techwanabe Registered Member

TI 7.0 bld 0584

Created a 9.8 GB partition image chosing the option to split the image up into files no larger than 4GB. Thusly I've ended up with three DVDs. Everything "seemed" to work fine. Unfortunately I did not run a verify.

I have read several threads and now am a lot smarter, but I'm were I'm at.
    I have a few questions.

Situation #1
    How do you restore multiple volumes of one image when you have copied the volumes to a 2nd HD? Do I have to tell it that it is a multi-volume set? If so howo_O?
    When I start the restore everything seems to be working and then 15 minutes into the process, the restore closes up and returns to the main TI menu.

Situation #2
    When restoring directly from the DVDs I received an ciclic redundancy error on my first DVD. (Thats after shuffling the last-first-last-first prompts).
    I found info on CDCheck 3 and ran it against all three DVDs. The first one had 42 errors (33 statiscally repaired and 9 only 50% likily repaired), 2nd DVD did not have a hash file, and the 3rd was clean.

So I created a repair copy using CDCheck 3. I realize that the 9 sectors with errors will be lost, but HOPEFULLY some data recovery is better than none.
    I copied the repaired version to another DVD and tried to run the restore directly from the DVDs again. Unfortunately same result: .... 15 minutes into the process, the restore closes up and returns to the main TI menu.

Any ideas on how I may recover some if not all the data? Unfortunately, it is our User-Data which is pictures and music! I'm desperate!o_O

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hi techwanabe,

I have moved your thread here where it should receive better attention in the Acronis Support Forum.

Bubba

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If your original hard drive with the data no longer works, try using the trial version of the latest to see if it will let you explore those images to pull off the data you need.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I can't add anything to what Ralphie suggests since other data recovery tools are not likely to be able to make sense of the TI image file. IMO, this is a prime example why it is a good idea to backup data files like pictures, spreadsheets, documents, whatever as plain jane files copied/burned onto the backup media rather than stuffing them into a proprietary container file that only one program can read.

The other lesson here is always use a verify function if provided and particularly if you are writing to optical media. I might add it is never a bad idea to have more than one backup, preferably on different media, if the files are real important - and I consider anything I want to keep that I can't buy or borrow to be in that category. Why we think we are living on the edge if a single copy of a file is on a HD and yet a single copy on a DVD is just so secure we can stop worrying, is beyond me. I used to see that with people copying files onto a floppy and then deleting them off the HD because "nothing can go wrong with the floppy". Well, guess what.

To techwanabe : I hope you have some luck recovering your files and to answer one of your questions, if you have a multi-volume archive, TI will know about it if you select one of the .tib files and handle the whole archive. You do not have to validate each tib file independently either, selecting one, validates all in that archive.

My pontificating above is not directed specifically at you but as a general comment to anyone who might fall into the same trap.

5. techwanabe

techwanabe Registered Member

The drive works.... but I've formated it and made it into a system drive for another system. I'm trying to restore to a different drive on same machine.

If I have the patience tonight, I'll try the trial TI 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.