MSN

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peaches4U, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Recently MSN updated their software, namely their Hotmail. What has happened is that now when I turn on my computer, MSN takes over my Desktop and there it is, filling up my whole screen. I hate that as I only use Hotmail as a throw-away address or when I am travelling. How do I get it back to the status as an on demand basis? I want my desktop to come up first. :mad:

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Peaches4U

Upon opening Hotmail go to Options>Mail>Hotmail Navigation and check the box. This should be a good start.

As to your opening page in IE - in IE go to Tools>Internet Options then set your home page in the top section.

As to your Desktop Wallpaper - go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>Background and re-set it according to your preferences.

This should do the trick. If you are using something besides 98SE you may have a slightly different path to get to the options mentioned.
    Best wishes

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Peaches!

Good instructions up there. Thanks. :D

Next, if you are not going to use MSN Messenger remove Loadqm.exe from your running programs list. (Ctrl+Alt+Del) Let it load at startup if you want to use your Messenger or it won't connect. Why take it off when not in use? It phones home about your surfing habits though MS denies this.

Hope this helps you a little. :)

4. Peaches4U

Thank you for such a prompt response- at least it gives me a beginning as to what to do. By the way, I use WindowsXP Home Edition - would the instructions differ from those of Win98?

I do use Hotmail for online stuff as I keep my private addy just that in order to prevent spam. I use Hotmail for registering software, travel, & so forth.

IE is fine, no problem here ... it works on demand and that is okay with me. My ISP homepage has not changed. It is just that Hotmail places itself over my desktop after I start my computer & automatically signs me in which I do not want. I find this a nuisance. I sometimes use the voice messaging with members of the family living abroad. I do not access MSN or Hotmail daily, perhaps weekly mainly to keep it active. Prior to this update I could leave MSN/Hotmail without being signed in until I chose to. I think I did not explain myself too well in the first instance. :(

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello again!

It means that when you got your update it automatically added itself to your System Startup folder. I do not use WinXP so my instructions won't help unless you know how to open your Startup folder.

Generically speaking, I would remove it from the Startup folder and then make a shortcut to the exe I want from it on my desktop. When it's already running, if you cannot shut it off, then I would remove it from the System Running Programs folder.

Would someone more familiar with WinXP reiterate here please? TIA :)

6. Peaches4U

Thanks QSection, I got MSN Hotmail off my desktop but it slides on to the bottom of my taskbar so I still have a bit of refining to do like removing it from my start up folder.
    That should do it, I think. :doubt: Cookie time for you. :D

7. Peaches4U

Re:MSN - help!!!!

:mad: Well I booted my puter this a.m. and there it was large as life, my hotmail and not my desktop. grrrrrr!! Suggestion didn't work. I have WinXP so have to figure out how to find my Startup list. I have found Startup in "All Programs" but it does not show MSN there ..... so, now what? o_O And no, I do not have a virus, trojan or bug ... my puter is CLEAN. I have done the checks and am pretty sure it is something MSN did without my knowledge. Beggars!! :mad: I recall once reading about a piece of software that will give options when you start your computer as to what programs you want running - for the love of me, I can't remember the name. I may have to resort to it if I remember the name or someone here does or o_O

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

9. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Peaches!

In order to avoid MSN prompting when starting a session:

1. In the MSN menu window go to tools>general
    2. Once in "general", you might unselect the first three boxes.

That being done, MSN should not show anymore!
    Unless you click on its name from the menu. ;)
    That setting works fine with me.

Although I like MSN 6, I didn't like the 6.1: :mad:

Well, I downloaded MSN 6.1 last Saturday and I had to remove it on Monday for it wasn't working very good. :(
    Never had that kind of problem before! First, on Saturday and Sunday, I could connect to Hotmail without problems, then I couldn't anymore: On Monday, everytime I clicked on the Messenger window to open a session, it just didn't work and kept asking me to try again! (Even after rebooting).
    So, I just desinstalled it and reinstalled MSN 6.

Since then, I still run the older MSN6 version without problems!
    Bugs in the new one? I don't know! o_O

"Startup Control Panel" sounds good too!
    Very light and convenient. It may be interesting to block many useless applications that have no point running at start up.

Uguel

10. Peaches4U

Well, it was late last night and figured I would follow up on suggestions offered this a.m. A miracle happened whilst I slept. Booted my computer this a.m. and no hotmail on the screen. Whatever it was, it corrected itself, I hope! :doubt:

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Hi Peaches4U,
    If your problem ever comes back try going to
    Start,
    Run,
    type in msconfig
    and go to the startup folder and uncheck msn , you may have to do this twice as msn sometimes adds itself to the startup again when you reboot.
    I use XPPro and hotmail for the same reasons you do.
    Good luck ,
    Frank

12. Peaches4U

Thank you Frank. I shall make note of your suggestion in the event this happens again. Karma cookie for you from a sweet peach ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.