MSN Virus Removal???

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sherryxp2000, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use MSNCleaner.
    If you can't find it, I can upload it tomorrow.
    Good luck!

EDIT: check your PM's.
    Some MSN viruses edit the registry and deny execution to msncleaner.exe, so rename it before running.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. sherryxp2000

Thanks for that one too

Thanks for that file.

I am trying to round up all the MSN cleaners I can for highschool students and friends.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

When you are done you could provide a list for the rest of us:)

5. sherryxp2000

For the moment...

For the moment, what you posted cured all the problems they had for Messenger. GOOD FIND!!!! Usually things don't go that well...lol

I am still leary of http://www.msnvirusremoval.com/index.php but I am still researching it. I just may try it on a junk system to see what it does.

6. Macka007

Macka007 Registered Member

I can personally garuntee there is no spyware/viruses/other malware in any of the software on www.msnvirusremoval.com

Having said that, do test it for your self, and if you do find any false positives or anything you consider "bad" be sure to voice your concerns through the contact page.

My list of MSN Virus removal tools:

With the exception of LiveKill I have tested all of the programs in the list, some more then others. Testing done in SandBoxie with an MSN virus or 2 that people have sent me.

I would be very interested in any of the MSN Virus removal programs you find. Also if you were to rate them on what they can/can not detect and the pro's and con's of each tool I would also be very interested.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. sherryxp2000

Thanks

Thanks for all of those finds. Basically I end up sending these utilities thru my daughter. She is on Messenger, and sends the repair utilities out to her friends, because they know her Dad is a PC Tech.

If I had a way to get the viruses, or if I have any clients with them, I will pass them along if possible.

Are you the author? If so, I just had a couple little suggestions for your advertising. A site like this is great exposure of course, as well as a few more I know of. If you can get established on COMMON RELIALBE Tech sites, your programs trust would be earned.

I am going to try your program now to learn the experience.

Thanks for the kind words, and all the great information.

8. Macka007

Re: Thanks

No problem. As I said, if you find any more let me know, it is always interesting to find other tools and compare the GUI's, functions and different ways of doing things. Always handy to have a family member or friend with PC knowledge who can help out with troubleshooting and viruses.

The best way to pass them to us is with Virus Info Gatherer and failing that email them in a zip/rar with a password such as 'password' or 'virus'. Even if you remove them yourself, it is handy to be able to add it to the VDB to help others.

Yes thats correct, I write and maintain the software on the site. As far as I know we don't get mentioned on security forums by the staff; they seem to prefer MSN Cleaner, ComboFix and HijackThis logs. I might contact a few security sites and see what they think of our tool.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Some extra's you may or not know:
    Some variants install rootkits.
    Some variants put autorun.inf files on any additional partitions, USB Drives and any other hard drive, removable or fixed. This catches a few people out, they remove the virus and are fine until after the reboot, when the autorun kicks in.
    There is a possibility that access could be blocked via polocy to regedit, taskmanager, command prompt, system restore config, safe mode, folder options.

Safe Mode is blocked by removing some registry keys and results in the system rebooting and BSODing whenever an attempt to boot into safe mode is made.

If I think of anything else you might find useful I'll let you, although I'm sure you wont have too many problems figuring stuff out.

9. IamMasculineUB2

IamMasculineUB2 Registered Member

So tell us why upon downloading your program that both McAfee and Microsoft Live OneCare finds it to be a trojan? You should address this otherwise you're going to have tons of individuals being scared off from this fact.

Here's what comes up upon attempting to download your program:

You need to make it well known on your downloads page that that anti-virus programs may find your program as a trojan, and the steps to work around it. Otherwise, it's hard to recommend this to my friends when I keep finding this type of information.

Sincerely,

IamMasculineUB2

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  10. Macka007

Bugger, we had that problem with Sophos and another AV and McAfee's Site Advisor back in April or march i think. Took ages to have Site Advisor corrected, Sophos however responded within a few hours and the other AV company took about 24 hours. I'll get a message put on the site and contact them again ASAP.

Thanks for letting me know. Oh and I completely understand not wantng to recommend it while it is being detected.

Cheers,

Macka

11. sherryxp2000

Go to this site, but I am sure you may be aware of it.

http://www.virustotal.com/

Uppload your program there. You will see it is flagged by 7 virus companies.

12. Macka007

@sherryxp2000:
    yup, I use that site every now and again. As soon as somone alerts me that it is being detected as a virus I run it through there and contact the AV companies in question.

Microsoft, Sophos and Mcafee are fixed, Sunbelt have said they are investigating it. ESafe and TrendMicro haven't gotten back to me, and Ikarus started detecting it in the last 2 days, So I'll contact them now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.