MSN Video/Webcam Recording Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheMozart, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Anyone recommend a good freeware MSN WEBCAM recording program where I can record my friends when we talking on webcam?

Thanks.

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Stay FAR, FAR away from Replay Media Catcher.

1. It does not work well at ALL. Your recordings will be corrupted and I've not ran across anything yet that could fix them. It is also full of bugs and half the time will not stop recording no matter how many times you ask it to.

2. It's like malware as far as trying to get it off your system. Add/Remove, Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, hand editing the registry, none of these completely got rid of it. Sometimes, it looked to me as if when I deleted a registry key that it came back. I finally completely reinstalled the OS to be rid of it.

3. It isn't free and, the company has a habit of charging you a fee for just the smallest of "upgrades" (meaning bug fixes).

I'd just stay away from all of their products period.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So dw426, what do you recommend?

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm honestly not sure. I didn't use Replay to capture MSN/Yahoo and I haven't recorded them before myself. I just wanted to warn against that particular software.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I tried Camstudio portable and it's good, but it records the whole screen, not just the MSN Webcam window.

Anyone else know of a good free program that records the MSN Webcam window?

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You can configure Camstudio to just record a section of the screen,ie. the window showing the webcam.

Just click on 'Region' then tick 'Window' and you can record any individual Window by clicking on it.;)

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

OK thanks :)

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I like Debut, in the above link, just be careful to only install it or else all the extras get installed. Debut remains free as long as you don't install any of the extras IIRC. Recently I had trouble with Debut so I checked out Ashampoo Snap 4. I did not realize that Snap 4 could also record sound from either the computer speakers or the mic. Once I saw it could do this Snap 4 solved all my needs for a screen recorder. Plus when recording, it is much less resource intensive than Debut. Snap 4 costs like $19.99 but can be found at times for much cheaper, like $5-7 or so. There is a 40 day trial. I believe it only saves video in WMP format where as Debut can save in different formats, again, IIRC.
    http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0424/Multimedia Software/Ashampoo-Snap-4

There seem to be a lot of good suggestions on the gizmo page at the link above.

A few last things- what is your operating system and what web cam are you using (if any)?

It seems one of the biggest differences in recording web streams/desktops is the ability to record sound from the speakers vs. just the input sound from a mic.

12. chris45

chris45 Registered Member

try snap 4 from ashampoo its really good. It record's anything from what i read

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.