MSN Messenger - unknown identity appearing

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by donford, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donford

donford Registered Member

I have experienced this problem over a period of time. I rarely use MSN
    Messenger but occasionlly when I do so and open Messenger to sign in there is already an identity which is neither of my two identities signed in, as soon as I open the Messenger window the other identity is logged off, far to quickly for me to read the identity name. This is not a case of me having signed in at a different location as I only use MSN Messenger from this one PC.

A few days ago when the above occured the desktop icons for both Internet Explorer and Outlook Express dissapeared from the desktop.

I have run numerous scans to try and find if there is any potential virus, malware or trojan without success.

I am using a standalone PC, WXP Pro with SP3, connected by ethernet direct to cable broadband with ZA Security Suite, Spybot S&D and Super anti-spyware. Current version of MSN Messenger is 2009 although the problem has been occuring prior to installing the current version.

Any ideas please?

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I don't use MSN messenger, but is there an option to view offline contacts? if so, enable, and the name should then appear in your list.

3. donford

donford Registered Member

Thanks, I probably did not make my problem clear.

On occasions when I go to open and sign into Messenger with my own ID there is already someone using the program, i.e. an identity that is not mine is already signed onto Messenger with their own list of contacts showing on my desktop. I am now wondering if this could also be connected to all of my Hotmail 'Inbox' mails being deleted a couple of months ago. At the time Hotmail did attempt to recover them but were unable to do so.

4. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Sounds like someone else is using your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.