MSN Messenger dangerous code and formatting

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by couldbe, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couldbe

couldbe Registered Member

Hi,
    seems i have come running back with another problem.

I use MSN Messenger and instant message a number of friends and relations.
    One has purchased and installed Zone Alarm Security Suite.

each time i post to this person i get the message back immediately
    "Zone Alarm IM has removed dangers code or formatting from your last message."

I know that two others of my contacts get the same message.

I also know that one does not get the message.

What is my problem here and how do i find the source of the code or formatting and how do i remove it.

i have scanned with nod trying to find this with no luck.

thanks again in advance
    couldbe
    oops.... MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't use IM or chat programs like MSN Messenger all the time, but IMO IM or chat programs may sometimes transmit viruses. Danger.

3. couldbe

Nadirha
    thanks for your response
    I guess its Christmas and we should all be enjoying the season
    so i will wait a bit longer and see if anyone else shows any interest
    best wishes for all in the coming newyear
    could be

4. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

That is true.
    But mostly if you do File transfers or click on links by spammers.
    There may be also other ways on getting viruses via Instant Messaging......

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I believe there's an option to disable that notification, in ZA Security Suite by clicking on...

1.) IM Security
    2.) Settings
    3.) "Advanced..."
    4.) And unchecking "Notify me when harmful content is filtered."

Note: I haven't tested this, but it sound like it should do the trick (and get rid of the warnings, with luck - although this may only apply to the user who has ZA, and everyone else may still receive that message). :)

In regard to figuring out what it's detecting as "bad" - it might just be your text formatting. Are you using any different fonts or colors?

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

Do you use IM Secure Pro?

That is a Zone Alarm product that monitors messengers, it's basically a firewall for messengers. So if you are using it that might be what's causing the message.

7. couldbe

Happy New Year

Thanks all

I had heaps of trouble with Son in law's comp picking up dialers and hackers.
    I recommended ZA Security Suite as it has IM Secure to monitor IMs.

I am quite happy that it reports that code or formatting has been removed... I would much rather know than not.

Javacool
    appreciated
    Will delete smilies and formatting from handle and see if that fixes problem. When I can. their comp been running with no one at the wheel at present and IM secure not activated on that partition because Nod32 active.

much appreciated thanks
    couldbe

8. Unreal

Unreal Guest

Zone Alarm has a built in feature to prevent being infected by anything while using Instant Messengers, including MSN Messenger. You can turn the feature off, however you will loose your protection.

9. couldbe

Unreal

thanks

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

you might want to look at your msn settings and check that you have some basic security settings set that may prevent "others" spamming or Im ing you when you are online . i run with msn and its a great way to keep in touch with others. i have never run into any problems with it yet. i have set a couple of options that may be diffirent to the default set up and they are tools > options > messages > file transfer > make sure you have your anti virus nominated to scan any file transfers.
    Under privacy > visability and privacy > I have a check mark in " only people on my allow list can see me and send me messages"
    Under general > quality > unchecked allow microsoft to collect anon info" It works well for me . If you are getting return info from this other person who is running zonealarm it may be also that they have set there settings to "high" in there way they chose to handle content . What javacool said is proberbly the way to sort it out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  11. couldbe

Hi

Javacool Solarpowered candle all

Java you were right about formatting. finally caught up with daughter last night and tested it.

There doesn't seem to be a default font setting in messenger but Ariel 10pt stopped the message response from ZA SS . that's a big relief. was bit worried about dropping another unknown downloader or the like.

Thanks again everyone
    much appreciated
    Couldbe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.