msmsgs.exe - Do I need it?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by casper1, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casper1

casper1 Registered Member

Do I need msmsgs.exe (a component of messenger) on my system? And if I keep it, should it be allowed to install global hooks? It starts up every 2 minutes, and every so often truies to create low level global mouse and keyboard hooks. So far I do not allow the hooks. This is the real version located in c:/program files/messenger directory.

Any advice would be appreciated. It clutters up the alerts quite a bit but if its useful and poses no threat, that's ok.

casper1

2. if you are using XP SP2, and you are not using windows messenger:
    use the "Set Program Access and Defaults" option from SP2
    and uncheck enable access to this program next to default instant messaging program

makes more sense than blocking it all the time

3. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

Just rename the directory. ;)

4. emwebb

emwebb Registered Member

MsMsgs.exe is the Windows Messenger, not to be mistaken the MSN Messenger MsnMsgr.exe. Each has a directory under Program Files. To see Microsoft's position on the two IMs:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx

You don't need it, but windows may continue to upgrade it. It's kind of like Outlook Express is part of the OS and gets updated even if you have OutLook.

Note that by default, XP starts one copy of msmsgs per user; consequently, there is a start command in HKCU not HKLM.

You can turn it off by starting it from its directory (if it is only running in the backround) and select Tools|Options|Preferences. Then uncheck the first two items. Do this for every user id if you have any.

Use the Group Policy editor to smack down msmsgs. Run Gpedit.msc and select Computer Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Messenger. Select the two entries and Windows Messenger will not start automatically or manually for any user.

Regards,
    Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.