MSI or Setup.exe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I bought a refurbished ATI All-in-Wonder card that I am trying to install. When I tried to let the auto installer install it, it seems like it only installed the basic drivers, so I opened up the folders, and guess I am going to have to go through and click the software installs one at a time, via windows explorer. The question that I have asked myself in many installing situations is .MSI, or setup.exe?

I think, both will install the program. I tend to use setup.exe, because once or twice in the past .MSI did not work. I have no idea why, or what is going on with having both. Can anyone shed some light on this?

HandsOff

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why not get the drives from here?
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
    it will have all the applications and drivers.
    it also has installation instuctions.
    i normaly use .msi files since they have a repair option if later it goes wrong.
    lodore

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Why not get drives from their?...Well, I did, however the installation instructions were ambiguous to me. They made it sound as though you had to already have an earlier version installed on your computer in order for the new software, which were merely upgrades. Then moving to the installation instructions they say that all of the old software must be completely uninstalled before you can install the new software. Then there is another download file that must verify that you have a "genuine original disk" or the upgrade software will not install. In practice what was provided to me from the vendor was a generic disk with the software copied onto it. However, it was determined to be genuine, by the "CD Whiz". So, installation was eventually accomplished.

Oh, in this case there was a practical difference. If you click the .msi file it says that you have to run setup instead. It's still a bit of a mystery, but I guess I should probably click setup.exe when there is a choice.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.