MSE v1.0.1961.0 Upgrade out now

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by elapsed, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It appears that the 1961 is now available in the "upgrade" option of MSE. I previously did not have this before today. I assume it was released in coordination with the usual Windows Updates.

You can get it by clicking "Help" then "Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials..."

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Have you seen any change log?

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

They don't release change logs, they don't bring new things to the table except for when it was released initially - to sum up my opinion, MSE will not be so great anymore before you know it. You need to be responsive to change, and MSE doesn't show it's. Use it if you like it as long as its effectivity lasts.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Change logs don't worry me if the programs works well.

Regarding how a program holds up, all depends on someone's browsing behaviour. The old Avast 4X held up quite well, year after year. If someone is going to get infected with the old Avast, MSE, or just using Kaspersky AV (not the full package), they should look at what they're doing wrong with their browsing.

Are they typing the wrong search criteria in, are they clicking on ads instead of actual links, and so on? The majority of people just have to be taught to look at their status bar when hovering over a link, and look at where the link is taking them. You wouldn't believe the number of novices who never think to look where a link takes them. If they can master their 'browser status bar', any AV will be fine. :)

5. mvario

mvario Registered Member

http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/03/mse-users-check-for-updates/

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i have figured out a why to use MSE on pirated copies of Windows, just shocked they havnt closed the hole yet. its no a hack at all. which is funny.

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Actually, I think it's good that Microsoft is making attempts to stop pirated software. Their antivirus surely deserves getting paid for.

8. elapsed

There's nothing really to debate about that, they are replacing the existing check with a better one, I doubt many people care.

What's truly interesting is the performance improvements. Unfortunately I'm on a new fast machine, and MSE is so light I just forget about it running all together. Maybe someone on an older machine can tell us if performance has improved for them.

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

are there any security improvements noticed? i thought MSE wasnt being maintained much now? or am i wrong?

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Good question, I kinda wish they had a detailed change log for Engine Updates and Program updates. I also wish they would fix the issues with Defensewall because that would make a nice setup for a few people I know.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Did they ever fix the problem with it not updating after coming out of sleep mode?

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I'm on a five year old laptop P4 3gb HT, 2gb mem, 7200 rpm HD. Not improved for me. Can not use it. CPU is maxed out on desktop loading for about seven to eight minutes(MSE's process), opening folders with quite a few apps in it maxes out CPU in addition to a foreversville for all the icons to appear.

13. leofelix

leofelix Registered Member

I'd like to know if HIGH CPU usage issue has been fixed.

Since MSE is based on Microsoft Forefront, well I also would like to know how VirusBuster antimalware engine is good

http://www.virusbuster.hu/en/company/partners/oem-partners

Since I used for some weeks MSE 1.0.611: 3 legitimate software were flagged as high risk threats and it found supposed "malware" even in system restore.. which I had disabled (XP PRO SP3)

14. Saraceno

Kerodo, not sure if it's fixed, but there's a registry tweak, or the following can be applied for it to update each day.

15. elapsed

You need to research this further. Microsoft Forefront is a full fledged product not an anti-malware engine. Microsoft Forefront uses multiple AV engines including the Microsoft engine and the VirusBuster engine. Microsoft Security Essentials uses the Microsoft Engine only.

Microsoft Forefront server install uses multiple engines, Microsoft Forefront client install uses the Microsoft engine only.

In short: VirusBuster has NOTHING to do with MSE.

16. leofelix

Thank you, do you have any reference to show me, please?

I thought MSE and Forefront used the same engine antimalware since the off line update files are 'apparently' the same: same size, same name and same changelog (and a MVP - home security - whom I won't mention- told me that MSE was based on Forefront engine, some months ago)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

Cheers:)

1st snapshot: Forefront offline update; 2nd snapshot: MSE off line update

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Saraceno....

18. elapsed

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/serversecurity/exchange/en/us/faq.aspx

All the other versions of Forefront use the Microsoft engine only.

19. leofelix

I see thank you again,
    so MSE uses all the other Forefront edition /microsoft engine.
    Now I understand why the off line updates for both MSE and Forefont client are the same.

1 point more for MSE, since I have to confess I'm not exactly a fan of Virusbuster:cautious:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

has the thing with the def updating been fixed?

how often does MSE check for updates?

21. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I always thought Microsoft forefront/onecare was based on the RAV engine (Reliable antivirus) which microsoft took over years ago.

22. elapsed

No, no, no. It uses 1 engine, the Microsoft engine.

23. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Since applying this "upgrade", I get an error ID 3 in my event viewer at each boot. It is: "Session "Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D". Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, what is the reason and solution?

24. Saraceno

John, this isn't an answer to your question, but as it's such a simple install, I'd uninstall and re-install and see if the problem appears again. Or you could post here and say you have the same problem for the developers to look into:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/387c21ed-75db-47e3-9baf-687f6c66f0eb

elapsed, don't know if I can tell any difference on a few older spec systems MSE was installed on. It is one of the only AVs I could install that wouldn't slow down browsing (on 5+ old systems).

Slightly off-topic - check out a new rogue copying MSE. Don't mind the GUI on 'Security Essentials 2010'. Got a firewall too. Probably makes plenty of inbound and outbound connections! :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  25. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Thanks, Saraceno. I've tried uninstall and reinstall. Will check out the link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.