MSE or WIndows Defender full scan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It may take awhile but, if you run a full scan with either product it is like night and day on how it impacts your system. My memory consumption went down by 25 percent after doing a full scan. So much so, it is as light as anything else I have used.

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I don't know how many people believe in this POS Antivirus, just because they *think* they had no problems with it that makes it good? LOL To everyone running MSE I advice you to run a scan with another AV god knows how many viruses you might be having and not even knowing it

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/sepoct-2012/

Attached Files:

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Works good as part of a layered security setup.

Light, and just works.

Don't forget, there is no such thing as a perfect av so don't go telling me that you know one :)

4. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I know a perfect av- us ;)

Anyways, I like it because it is very light and integrates with the system. Nevertheless, with many layers we will have a strong protection.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If it's come to that, some other part of your security approach has failed you. More than likely, the weak link being the end user itself. And in that case choosing an AV becomes a rather moot point.

If I were that type of end user, with lax security, going around clicking on everything with reckless abandon, I most certainly would not trust MSE to protect me.

MSE is for a different type of end user... the one that never gets infected. That quite frankly doesn't even really need a real-time AV and feels like they're just a dead weight. But uses it just because there's essentially no footprint on Vista/7/8, or would otherwise use nothing at all.

If you're depending on the detection rate of an AV to save you, IMO, your approach has already failed.

6. er34

er34 Guest

:thumb: Just like any other antivirus out there

7. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

good god, this mse is terribly :ninja:

8. berryracer

yes and what's more dangerous is 100s of thousands of people have it installed just because it comes through windows update or it's FREE or "They never had a problem with it" LOL!!! How can you know if you had a problem when it will not even detect the viruses properly? you might have viruses lurking in your system and not know about them and they say "I never had problems with it" yeah sure, they never did, only the viruses might have sent all their data / personal info to the hackers

LOLLLLLLL

9. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Or maybe they download/install it because it carries independent validation awards from known names in the industry like the VB100?

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=70

Or maybe the best people to get an av to work well with windows are the people behind the source code?
    I don't know, I've used it, didn't mind it, but certainly am not enough of an expert to cast aspersions on it.
    It did it's job and I never noticed my PC slow down, nor did I get infected.
    Then again I 'use' my PC, I don't 'analyse' it!

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

man we dont agree on to many things berry but this is one of them, mse is terrible i own a repair shop and we have to clean infections of systems that are running mse ALL the time. and after those people get re-infected a time or two we can finally talk to them into something that will actually work most of the time i say that since no av is perfect and i of course tell them that. i had a system 2 days ago running mse that ended up having about 8 different infections along with the files associated on was a tds along with another nasty rootkit a keylogger, among others that needed to be cleaned up...im sure mse could work if the user never sees a virus or never goes to places around the web that are a bit shall we say shady but otherwise i can not recc it at all.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that there is a lot of FUD about MSE around at the moment. As part of a layered &/or sensible approach to security it works fine. I have had it running on three computers for at least two years & I haven't had any infections in that time. I have no desire to uninstall it & try any alternative AV. It is light, has virtually no false-positives (a big factor for me) & is simple to use.

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

most average users do not use a layered approach. they will install an av and be done with it. this is why i dont like mse its these people i see infections from.

13. berryracer

I didn't personally have MSE installed, I had it installed for my little sister who goes to Games sites for kids

when I visited home, I checked her PC and she had a popup from MSE saying that it detected 2 viruses, they were not viruses, but rather, false positives (I think one of them was a program that could extract your Office product keys / windows product keys so you can back them up incase you didn't have them), so I thought anyway,let me just delete them through MSE and get done with it since I never used those 2 apps anyway, MSE did its thing and I thought greaT! now we're done

then a few mins later, that same pop up from MSE comes up again saying that it dected them again, and it kept doing it! I restarted, went into safe mode, but MSE kept reporting them. and I am 100% sure they are safe as they were not detected by my previous Kaspersky Internet Security nor Eset Smart Security nor Bitdefender Internet Security

That's my simple story and it is just false positives, I can only imagine how one might be infected but never know since he has that piece of crap called MSE that many people believe in. But tests online show the opposite

There are MANY free AVs out there that are lightyears ahead and better than MSE. Think of it anyway, since was Microsoft good in terms of security? NEVER.

MSE is merely an enanced Windows Defender, I would certainly not classify it as an Anti-Virus

14. berryracer

Not saying that you did or are infected, but what makes you so sure you aren't? Unless you run other scanners daily, you wouldn't even know about it. It's not like a virus is going to pop up and tell you "Hey, you are infected"

with MSE, you might be infected and never know it

15. Daveski17

If I were you, I'd sit down & do some deep breathing exercises.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. Daveski17

I remember the same old FUD about McAfee when I actually ran McAfee. I even remember the same old FUD about Norton when I actually ran Norton. You don't even need a layered approach to security, just some common sense. With that & maybe a decent browser, most people should be fine.

I'm not seeing much common sense on this thread at the moment.

17. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Indeed....

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

For home users, it very much depends on how you will use your pc, surfing habits, how lucky you are, etc. For them, having MSE or the "new" WindowsDefender AV is better than having nothing at all and will protect from the most common and prevalent online threats; they are very light and perfectly integrated with the OS as well. However, I think that these Microsoft free solutions are more suited to business environments where avoiding false positives is more important than superb malware detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.